1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neverwinter Nights and Clone CD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cdneger, Aug 24, 2003.

1. cdneger

cdneger Member

Can someone tell me the correct settings for burning Neverwinter Nights with Clone CD? Clony isn't helping cos the versions I have either don't show any protection or if they do show Securom NEW, they don't tell me the settings. I searched the forums but didn't find what I needed... Help please.
    Don't tell me to use Blindwrite or Alcohol because both programs don't seem to be working for me either. Blindwrite doesn't recognise any of my drives and Alcohol says something about Nohide or noshow and proceeds to do nothing at all.
    So, stuck with CloneCD for now.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well with Blindwrite you can manually set you drive to force it to accept it. You can also check to see if the database has an update to it.

With CloneCD theere is a program called Clone 4 CCD profiler or something like that which will tell you what settings to use. The protections are:

Neverwinter Nights - SecuROM version 4.76.00.0051
    Never Winter Nights after updating to 1.21 - SecuROM version 4.84.00.0039

3. cdneger

cdneger Member

Thanx man, the profiler worked, I did it. :)

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Be sure that you use the SecuROM 4.8.3 backup guide m8. Start with Blindwrite 4.25 (or latest build). You can use CloneCD\TwinPeak Tool. Note that it is important to create a "install disc" (no bwa or mdf file) and a "play disc" (bwa file). Refer to the users guide on how to backup SecuROM 4.8.3 located in our sticky threads (CD-R forum highlighted in blue).

Shoey :)

5. Praetor

Glad to hear it worked!

6. cdneger

cdneger Member

@Shoey:
    Why do I need to use the 4.8.3 backup guide? My game is 4.7.6 protected, isn't it?
    And I tried the method using the profiler and that seems to do the trick, the CD-RW I burned is recognised as the play disc...

A question though: The upgrade will boost the protection to 4.8.4., so if I upgrade, will the copy still be recognised? Or how does that work? Or is that why you mention the 4.8.4 guide? A little confused.....

7. Praetor

The 4.83 guide is an excellent one for tackling 4.8x protections.... 4.83 was/is a pain in the @rse to deal with hehe

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

This is why I instructed that you go the more "secure" SecuROM 4.8.3 backup route.
    It's "possible" the update will not allow your backup to work thus I advised above.

9. cdneger

cdneger Member

Ok I get it. :)
    I think I'll burn another copy, this time using the 4.8.3 method (blank media ís dirt cheap these days...) and then if I choose to upgrade, eventually (I don't even know why I would bother, don't know if the upgrade is more than just a bugfix) at least I know that one of them will work. :)

Thanx man, great site by the way! Glad I found it.
    I was on GameBurnWorld.com until I found this.

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Welcome to the forum m8! You're "one in a few" here that is willing to go out of the way to determine what is the best "backup" method and for that, I appreciate! I "think" if you wan't to play the pc game online you have no choice but to get the update patch. Again this is why I prefered the SecuROM 4.8.3 backup method (Blindwrite 4.25 or CloneCD\TwinPeak Tool).

11. Praetor

Oh yes where are me manners! Welcome to the forum dude! :)

12. cdneger

cdneger Member

Well personally I am no big fan of online gaming. Most of the people I have met in games so far are way too... 'obsessed' might be the word I'm looking for. I prefer single player. :)

And, sure I'm willing to test the other methods as well. I mean, it'll help me get the hang of this copying business that much faster, right? If and when I find out what method worked out, I'll post my findings in the forum somewhere.

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well at least you're willing to test and test, not like other nOObs around here. The best backup is a backup that can be played in any rom (drive) without the aid of any type of emulation or the applying of "no cd patches\cracks". Once you get a working backup of SecuROM 4.83& Safedisc 2.8-2.9, it gets much easier and you begin to identify what hardware& software is needed. I'll warn you in advance that if you're going to backup pc protected games, then be sure you [bold] own a dvd\cd-rom [/bold]. Backups of Safedisc 2.8-2.9 need the aid of ATIP tool (hide cd-r\ignore media type) to play a backup in a burner.

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
  14. cdneger

cdneger Member

When you say 'own a dvd/cd-rom'you mean an actual cd-rom drive, or dvd-rom drive right? My pc came equipped with a dvd-rom and a cd-rw. The cd-rw is a JustLink which, if I'm not mistaken, is a 2-sheeper (getting the hang of the jargon already ;))and the dvd is some generic OEM type I suppose. I didn't get any literature with the drives (and haven't yet opened up the case to check it out) so I'm guessing.

The story so far: I succesfully burned a copy of disc #3 using the 4.8.3 method. I used CloneCD with Twinpeak. When I tried to create a nice BWA, all I got was a spiky mess! Then I remembered that more than a dozen of other processes were running. I closed them. The spikes disappeared. Most of them did anyway. Some stayed, so I tried 4x speed instead of 8x, and more disappeared. Then I thought why not try MAX, and ALL of them disappeared and I got a nice curve! Is that normal?

Well anyway, I saved that BWA, patched the ccd, and ran the game. :)

Tomorrow (I'm in Europe, so it's late) I'll try updating the game to see if it still recognises one or both of the disc #3 copies.

:)

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Yes as a dvd\cd-rom is very vital when playing backups of Safedisc 2.8-2.9 as backups played in [bold] any "burner" needs the aid of ATIP tool (ignore media type\hide cd-r). [/bold]

I find it abnormal but hey, if it works then don't try and fix it, right?

You've created a "play" disc and the Blindwrite Team (me too) will recommend that you create a "install disc (no bwa file in folder) and burn at 8x. Why? Some roms can't bypass the twin sector cd scheme of the SecuROM 4.83 cd protection, some can. This comes in handy if you own or run 2 or 3 pc's.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
  16. Praetor

Damn straight i'm obsessed hehe (not necesarily with online games but multiplayer in general).

17. cdneger

cdneger Member

You kind of lost me... Can you explain that perhaps? I did what your guide said, what should I have done differently? Discs one and two are the install discs... Or am I mixing things up now? :)

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Take for example Unreal Tournament 2003which is SecuRom 4.83 cd protected. This game contains 3 cd's as the 1st cd is SecuROM 4.8.3 cd protected. I burned discs 2&3 as data discs using my favorite burning software. I burned 1 disc of cd 1 and labeled that "install disc" (NO bwa file) and I burned another disc and labeled that one "play disc" (bwa file). Scan each disc using ClonyXXL to determine how many discs are SecuROM 4.8.x cd protected m8.

19. cdneger

cdneger Member

OK! :)

Several observations:
    1. Disc #3 (play) is not required during the installation process.

2. Only disc #3 is copy protected.

3. After updating the installed game (installed from the copied discs) to the very latest specs, I tried running it from both the copied play discs. Both times it worked perfectly! So, why did I do all this again? :) :) :)

Weird isn't it?

Next project will be a game that is Securom 4.8x protected from the get-go. I will check back here if any problems arise. And if everything works I'll let you guys know that as well. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003