1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 4GB sony memory stick LOCKED??

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by jmb74, May 29, 2007.

1. jmb74

jmb74 Member

just bought it new, off ebay (appears to be real, according to all the guides out there) but the iso and psp folders are locked, as well as the memstick.ind, and memstick_pro.ind files. what gives? I've got the adapter, and according to the sony website, there should be a switch on the adapter to lock and unlock the thing, but alas, there is not. . .

what the hell, y'all?

cheers,
    jmb74

2. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

what does the psp say and what version is your psp...

3. jmb74

jmb74 Member

I'm running 3.10 OE-A'
    when I got the card, i removed it from the packaging, inserted it into the psp, ran the formatting program, and when I tried to drag my eye ess ohs over from my mac, I got the message, "the operation can not be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items." and again, the iso and psp folders have little lock icons on them. I feel like I've researched the hell out of this and have yet to come across a similar problem....

please help! I'm gettin twitchy here....

thanks
    jmb74

4. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

might be fake anyways just try unlocking them try right click tell me what it says i no a lot about pc, psp, xbox 360,wireless things
    owt electrical basically

5. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Try format with your computer first. I've had numerous cards and none of them had this locking feature. Might be a fake card, and it's just a mac's way of telling you it can't be accessed.

6. jmb74

jmb74 Member

so I should try to format it while in the psp, through the usb, perhaps in Disk Utility?

and if it was a fake, how would it still take to the formatting to allow the psp,iso,game, etc. folders to even be created? I have a mac running 10.3.9, fyi...

sorry, I'm totally puzzled and out of my league here....

I'll give it a shot.

7. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

it creates them because of the firmware whats on your psp mate..
    also try creating the folders yourself like a applicattion in game150 or sumin then try it cos u cant create another iso folder withouth deleting that one

8. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Well, iso, psp, game folders are only created when you format using psp. I suggest you create these folder manually after a clean format from your mac. If your memory stick is faulty, you will have trouble transfering files.

9. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

yeh you would blackvamp how many messages have u posted

10. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok. so to format the memory card via my mac, do I use the "disk utility" app? I kinda need walked through this. all help is appreciated. sorry to bog the minds down with this trivial stuff. I'm just stuck with a FUNCTIONING 1gig card and a non-functioning 4gig card. and most of the good games are bigger than a gig. and I'm really not wanting to be OUT what I paid for this thing.

jmb74

11. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

well if ur on mac find ur psp drive wereever right click on it and press format try dat

12. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok. with the psp connected to my mac, and the untitled 4gig drive icon on my desktop, right-clicking it gave me the following options:

Open
    Get Info
    Eject Untitled
    Duplicate
    Make Alias
    Copy Untitled
    Toast It
    Disable Folder Actions
    Configure Folder Actions
    Attach a New Folder Action

but no option to FORMAT.

so......

now what?

jmb74

13. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

try configure folder actions maybe to unlock it

14. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok, I've opened CONFIGURE FOLDER ACTIONS, but then what? do I ENABLE FOLDER ACTIONS? when I hit the + key to add an action, nothing sounding anything remotely like unlocking of any sort is listed as an option...

ugh.

jmb74

15. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

yes try enableing folder actions

16. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok. I enabled folder actions on the memory stick, then formatted it on the psp, and I'm back to where I was before...

jmb74

17. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

dont format it just try after u enabled folder actions

18. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok. I've erased it and enabled folder actions. what is it that I'm trying right now? am I creating my own folders?

19. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

yeh and putting larger files on it like 1gb at laest

20. jmb74

jmb74 Member

ok, again, I'm really new to this, so if you can be as specific as possible, we can save some back-and-forth time. what folders am I creating? I made an "ISO" folder just to see if I could create one, and dragged a file (1.4gig) and it worked. however, I'm getting "This Memory Stick cannot be read. Go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS to format the memory stick."