1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new 50 pack TDK DVDs in Australia

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by behrad, Jan 13, 2005.

1. behrad

behrad Regular member

Hi all,
    For those living in Australia, TDK has just brought out a 50 pack DVD media and I bought one and here is what I found out.
    After a couple of burns which when played back kept skipping and pausing, I decided to investigate further.
    In the past I have never had any issues with TDK media until now. Well, I used DVD info pro and found that the manufacturer code on this new media is CMC.
    I have emailed TDK here in Sydney for an explanation. Be ware they have switched manufactureres!!!!

2. daniellu

daniellu Member

did you buy them in big-w?

3. behrad

behrad Regular member

no bought from DSE.
    No one has contacted me from TDK Australia as yet BTW.

4. Noel

Noel Guest

I have used the TDK 10 pack and 25 packs on a spool. They are also CMC. Never had a problem.

But if you buy the TDK that come in individual cases they are dearer but are made by Ritek (Ricoh). In the long run you will get a better product. Pick them up when K-Mart has the 15% off sale every 8 weeks or so.

These are also available at Big-W, K-Mart, JB Hifi, Bing Lee etc. Go for the best price, under $2.00 Aus each.

Be interested to see what TDK have to say. But if you do actually get a reply it will likley be a standard letter about their quality is always good etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  5. behrad

behrad Regular member

Thanks Noel,
    I have used several of the blue top 25 pack discs from TDK and they have all been Richo-JPN. I wonder why your 25 packs have been CMC?
    This is very Fishy that they switch manufacturer and not let their customers know!
    If they argue about their quality I can show them the numerous costers I have made using the CMC made TDK media

6. daniellu

daniellu Member

I saw the 50 spindle in big-w with brown packaging, it costs AU$34.5. I am not sure if they are good.
    I used some TDK DVD-Rs(single case), I checked the Log and it says:
    Disc Manufacturer: TTG02 - Not Ricoh

7. behrad

behrad Regular member

this is the one I have bought.
    It is a 50 pack with a brown wrap around. I think it was $34.50 or close to it.
    Do not buy this product. It contains CMC made media that will not burn at the speed that is rated to correctly!!! Buyer beware!!!

8. WHOTIME

WHOTIME Member

i have a tdk 50 pk from bestbuy and it reads ttg02

9. daniellu

daniellu Member

thanks, Behrad. very good advice. (all that I tried to find out)

10. behrad

behrad Regular member

you are very welcome mate. That is what these forums are for.
    BTW, I still have not heard a peep from TDK Australia.
    Looks like they dont care about their customers to even get back to them, let alone to inform them about their products.

11. Fanny_Fan

Fanny_Fan Member

I had no end of trouble with the 50pk from Big W. They were rubbish. I took them back and got a refund and purchased a 25 pack of tdks (made in taiwan) and they burn perfectly. I noticed both lots of the discs were the same price at Dick smith and I asked the salesman the difference - he said there was none . well it seems to me if they were the same quality why are the 50pk only $1.00 dearer then the 25's. Neither of the packs were on sale...... If you download dvd identifier at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4413.html you will find that the dvds are from differnt manufacturers alright - the 50's from TDK and the 25's from ricoh. You'd think TDK would have quality controls to keep their items upto a certain standard.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  12. iddavid

iddavid Member

The TDK 8x DVD+R discs that I purchased in November worked great with my new LG 16x Multidrive. The quality was so good that they were burning at 12x.

I bought more in January, but these TDK 8x DVR+R did not work. I took my new burner back to shop because I thought it was faulty.
    When I got it back, it still produced TDK coasters.
    The shop tested the burner with Imation DVD-R.
    So I bought a new batch of TDK 8x DVR-R, but these also do not work in LG 4016 16speed multidrive burner. I even tried Nero burning at 4x, still no good.
    These discs will work in an older Iomega 2.4x or 4x burner.
    These discs will also work in the Pioneer 16x DVD burner.
    So the drop in quality affects the LG product more than others.

13. behrad

behrad Regular member

that is exactly what I did too Fanny_Fan.
    I asked why the 50 pack was a one dollar more expensive than the 25 pack and the sales person at DSE said that the new brown wraparound 50 pack was a special promotion and that is why it was cheap.
    But when I looked into the media code using DVD identifier, I found out that instead of RICHOJPN being the manufacturer, it was CMC MAG with this lot.
    TDK Australia still have not contacted me. I wonder if I could take my 50 pack of TDK crap media and clobber someone beside the head with over there in their office? What do you guys think????

14. behrad

behrad Regular member

let me guess iddave,
    your first lot were the blue top DVDs and the crappy ones are from a brown package 50 pack correct?
    I have tried everything and these do not burn at the rated speed. What do you expect from CMC media?

15. Noel

Noel Guest

Strange I never had a problem burning the CMC on a Pioneer 106 even at 4x. Or playing the discs on an LG (which packed up) and now a Philips DVD home player.

Still, I will not be buying any more CMC just in case. Only go for the best media which is RICHOJPN or equivalent. That's what everyone learns after some trial and error.

16. beltline

beltline Regular member

Daniellu - The TTG02 have been very reliable. Do a search on them and you'll see pretty much everyone has been very pleased with them. The Ricoh one's I've heard are also very reliable. You may all want to compare the country they say they're made in. I believe I've read Taiwan/Japan was TTG02, Ricoh was Taiwan, and CMC were China. If this ends up being the case. Just avoid the one's with a manufactured in China label.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  17. daniellu

daniellu Member

updating this thread:
    I bought a spindle of this TDK 8X-R media from Harris Scarfe today (on sale:AU$ 34.95). And just found out it is now using TTG-02 type of dye, the quality is reasonably good.
    Product: Brown wrap, code: DVD-R47PW50B-AU

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I bought 50 pack TDK in brown wrapper from Best Buy and CompUSA and both spindles are TTG02. Have not had any problems.

19. iddavid

iddavid Member

Behrad,
    Not at all.
    we were buying 'pale blue top' in 25 pack spindle and then started buying 'pale blue top' in 50 pack spindle.
    Everything was fine, until the manufacturer changed.

Now I am using Azul. Less expensive and no coasters. I do not do much burning, but test a few from each batch of media that people I know are using. A few are recommending Azul for the LG4016 multidrive.

20. wolves

wolves Regular member

Another aussie...I originally bought 100 8X minus Gold wrap 50`s from Hardley Normal,and they burnt a dream(at 6X) bought another 100.Today they were sold out so bought the last 200 from Kmart..I love the mothers...Am driving a pioneer 106D and play them on a sony and NEC...Different strokes for different blokes I guess.