1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 8gb stick & I'm having some BIG problems.....I need help!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by defdave, Feb 7, 2008.

1. defdave

defdave Guest

Hello smart folks. I really need some advice because I'm not smart at all when it comes to this stuff. I just snagged my first PSP last week (and I love it).

Here's the deal...

I bought a PSP Giga-pack (2.00 fw PSP with the default 1gb memory stick) and I downgraded to 1.50, then to 3.52-M33 custom firware. Everything went smooth and ISOs loaded great, as did other homebrew/emulators,etc.

Today, the Sony 8gb memory stick I ordered showed up at the door. I was so excited, and me, being the moron that I am, decided to copy and paste all the contents of my 1gb stick onto the new 8gb stick before formatting it. After doing this, I loaded up my PSP and there was a load of "corrupted data" (of course).

So then, realizing what an idiot I was, I then did something else genius....I then formatted in FAT32 using my PC, which of course didn't produce the needed folders, etc.

Then I went online and saw that a-ha!.....I'm supposed to format from within the PSP menu....hmmmm. So I did that and all seemed well....or so I thought.

Now, after multiple reformats from within the PSP menu, I keep having a couple persistent problems.

For one, I cannot load some homebrew. For example, I can no longer even load snes9x...the screen just goes black.

Secondly, I'm having big-time save problems. From with emulators such as Nesterj or GpSp, I cannot save states successfully. In fact when I try to load a state from within GpSP, I get the nasty blue PSP error screen.

Lastly, I cannot load any ISO's now. When I try, I get this: "The game could not be started (80020148).

So, does anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong? Did I totally screw my memory stick with the screwy formatting? Am I forgetting something? Do I have a fake memory stick?

ANY help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. hoip

hoip Regular member

try upgradin to 3.90 m33 (make sure u dl the files at dark alex and never update thru network update, some ppl actualli upgrade to OFW) then format ur 8gb ms on ur psp

then go to recovery mode and change the UMD settings to the sony driver that should enable u to play iso agains, after u do all that dl the 1.50 kernal for 3.90 and dl the new versions of the emulators again

try that if that doesnt work, post again and ill try to figure something

obtw check ur 8gb ms and tell me if its magicgate supported ie on the ms information tell check if it "magic gate" is supported or not

if its not, its prolli a dodgy ms and i recommend a refund

3. N01NOob

N01NOob Regular member

I think you should format it to FAT not FAT32 cause mine is FAT..

Second try and press the /\ Triangle button at the MS and see if MagicGate is Supported if it is Unknown your MS is fake...(for more info see link in sig)

Third I think error 80020148 is a missing psar error.....don't actually know how to fix this (there is also a link in my sig)

Hope I helped you even if I didn't solved your problem....
    :)

4. defdave

defdave Guest

Thanks. I will try your advice. Does it need to be 3.90 or is there any way I could go to 3.71 instead?

Just out of curiousity, are you saying it may be a firmware issue in that lower custom firmwares such as 3.52 do not support 8gb memory sticks? I'm just asking because like I said, I'm pretty much a know-nothing when it comes to this stuff. :)

And the memory stick looks legit. Here's a link to the ebay auction I won it on (the guy was only selling 2 of them I think):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160202567017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

Maybe it is fake though...I dunno.

5. defdave

defdave Guest

Hmmm.... Well I pressed triangle at the menu screen and then went into "Information" and it said "Magic Gate : Unknown".

So it sounds like I may have been duped, huh?

6. defdave

defdave Guest

I think there is something to what you're saying. It fits nicely with Hoip's advice too.

I googled missing psar error and found this:

"80020148 is about missing PSAR file which can only be found in 3.71 M33-2 with 1.50 Kernel add-on version 2 and firmware versions onward...

solutions:

@halaman
    i think you have the original 2.71 firmware...install a custom firmware...3.71 M33-2, then install 1.50...then 3.71 M33-3 update"

So, according to these people (and Hoip), the problem stems from a compatibility issue between the 8gb MS and the CFW.

Gonna try Hoip's advice tommorrow.

7. N01NOob

N01NOob Regular member

Ehhmm,.... since your new here I would be saying this (I'm playing playing as a MOD so....)

Instead of triple back to back post try and edit your last post instead....

as for your first post....
    I think the 8 gb ms was supported in the 2.71 versions I think or 2.60... don't exactly know....so I think this isn't the problem..
    And also most of the MS in ebay are fake(I think) just check the link in my sig t find out....
    your second post seems you have a fake MS with about 10-20% (I think) chance it's original...
    as for your third....
    What FW are you using ?? 3.71 M33-2 if Yes try upgrading to a higher firmware that could solve the problem....

PEACE Men..

8. defdave

defdave Guest

Okay...I just went ahead and upgraded to 3.71 M33-3 and I'm still getting the same message when I try to load ISO's on the 8gb card...."the game could not be started (80020148)".

This doesn't happen on my 1gb card, just my new 8gb card.

I'll be trying Hoip's advice of going all the way up to 3.90 tomorrow. I'm kind of apprehensive about going to 3.90 I'll admit. I've heard it's buggy. Is this true?

Thanks,
    Dave

9. defdave

defdave Guest

Sorry about the multiple posts! Quite noobish of me, lol.

Thanks for all the help, guys. It seems I got it fixed (I think).
    I upgraded to 3.90, then reformatted on my pc, then reformatted on my psp, and then I finally got an ISO to load. Now I just need to reinstall my emulators and junk and see how they do.

Again, thank you guys so much for your help. :)

Thanks,
    Dave

10. voodooma

voodooma Regular member

sorry guy but your card is as fake as the million dollars i have in my pocket...there is really nothign you can do about it

11. hoip

hoip Regular member

just make sure u find the new versions of the emulators

12. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

@defdave-Sounds like you have a fake memory stick which will cause those problems-Not only that, but you probably wont be able to store more than a couple of gigs worth of data before you start having issues with games not showing up in the menu, or corrupted data for your gamesaves...Save yourself the headache and get your money back from the seller you got it from-Then buy one from a retailer or a reputable source..Not eBay. Updating your firmware will not solve your problem-its your memory stick.

13. defdave

defdave Guest

I think you guys are right. It must be fake.

After I upgraded to 3.90 M33, I tried 1 iso (Brunswick Bowling) and it worked, but then I tried another (World Series of Poker) and I got the same "game could not be started" message. Sheesh.

So I think I'll have to try to get my money back for this. Hopefully I can. This really ****es me off.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and help.

14. rickem

rickem Regular member

report the card to ebay, they had a post on their page once and want you to report them so they can delete their seller's account.

15. N01NOob

N01NOob Regular member

Does it have the same error number as the one before?
    If not it could be a different problem...

16. defdave

defdave Guest

Same error code. :( I messaged the seller on e-bay. I was polite but assertive in letting him know that the MS is faulty and I need a refund. I'm still waiting for his response.

17. N01NOob

N01NOob Regular member

Well...Good luck with you on that....

18. Feenix888

Feenix888 Regular member

E bay should be avoided for MS at all cost's. Come to think of it Baterries are not much better.

I have heard that 8gb sticks suffer playing ISO's / Homebrew in any event.

19. Boiling

Boiling Member

I'm sure it is a counterfeit MS that you have.

No Sony or SanDisk stick should ever have unknown MagicGate status. I have a genuine 8GB MS and it works fine with 3.71 M33 all the way up to 3.90 M33-2. Only had a bit of trouble with POPS but if you pick the right POPS version you should get just about everything to run.