1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New at this and need help!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by gibson_hg, Nov 26, 2004.

1. gibson_hg

gibson_hg Member

I have been toying with the idea of backing up a few of my games. I was wondering what I need to do so? Do I need a mod chip? Are there ways around a mod chip? Whats the best software to use to burn the games? Are there any ways to update the software on my PS2? What is disc swapping? How do I tell if a game is CD or DVD? Sorry for all the questions but I am new at this and don't want to screw anything up with my PS2. Thanks for any help you an give me.

2. pirkster

pirkster Member

The least labor-intesive thing to do is get the following:

1. HD Advance
    2. Sony Network Adapter
    3. Maxtor Hard Drive

Works for almost all games, and does not require opening your PS2 at all. You'll end up backing your games up to your hard drive, which also reduces load times.

That way you won't have to invest in a burner and DVD/CD media, and you won't have to worry about ripping/burning software, file problems with FAT32, or having to use swap disks or slide tools that can damage your PS2. Not to mention having to buy and install a mod chip (which many aren't that reliable anyway.)

Games have a designation on the disk that will tell you the media type. It will actually say "CD" or "DVD" rom right on the disk label.

Do a search on HD Advance to find out more about it if you like. Those who have it, love it. Those who don't, don't know what they're missing.

There are also lists on the net showing which games are/are not compatible. Do a keyword search on "HD Loader compatability" and you should find it easily. HD Loader is the original and out of print version of HD Advance - so any list that shows HD Loader compatability will work the same for HD Advance. Of all the games I own, I have had only ONE that I can't backup (Star Wars Battlefront) - so if you find that most of your games are compatible, I would recommend skipping the chip BS and go HD Advance.

Also, if you're in no hurry, it is reported that a product similar to HD Advance supporting USB hard drives will be on the market soon. So you may want to wait for it if you're patient.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  3. gibson_hg

gibson_hg Member

Thanks for the info, I will look into it. Seems like it will save me money, and possibily my PS2.