1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New at this - VCD burning speed question...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by MelissaE, Mar 8, 2003.

1. MelissaE

MelissaE Member

I've tried to burn VCD's using Nero, VCDEasy and Ulead Movie Factory - the closest I've come to viewing on standalone DVD player is w/Ulead Movie Factory and Nero Express - my problem is this - everyone says it's best to burn at lower speeds (1x, 2x, 4x), but no matter what speed I choose in ANY software, it writes at 8x. When I play it back on my DVD player, it skips around and it not smooth. I know this is b/c of the burning speed; I just don't know how to fix it when I set the burn speed at 2x or 4x....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    Melissa

2. MelissaE

MelissaE Member

Oh yeah - when I click on the simulation box, the simulation will say whatever speed I pick, but when it actually burns, it changes to 8x... how do I fix this?? Please help...

-Melissa

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Melissa,
    Many writers don't give you the option to choose the speed you wan't to write and there's nothing we can do about that. My Polaroid BurnMAX48x can't burn at 4x, so don't be too alarmed. Alcohol120% gives you this information, lol. I've burned ALL my SVCD's at 8x (137) and I don't have any playback pixelation issues. Did you by chance create Bin& cue format? What program(s) did you use to encode to VCD? As far as the simulation, leave the box unchecked.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2003
  4. MelissaE

MelissaE Member

I used TMPGEnc to covert to VCD format. I did not create a bin&cue format (not sure how to if I wanted too! lol!)... This is what I'm doing.. I have Dark Angel episode in avi format.. I used TMPGEnc to get it to mpeg. I've taken my mpeg format to VCDEasy and tried to burn it didn't work at all. When I tried it w/Nero, nothing, but for some reason, with Nero Express I did get something, but it skipped around and was very choppy.. same with Ulead Movie Factory.

I'd just like to get these episodes on VCD's for DVD playback... I'm trying to be patient, but just can't seem to get it right...

Tell me about Alcohol120% - what does this software do? Is this the best software for what I'm trying to do??

Thanks for trying to help me! : )
    -Melissa

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Alcohol20% is a program designed more for backing up pc/audio cd protected cd's. You can use this program to burn other image formats though. Creating bin& cue file format(after burning) allows me to "scroll" through the chapters of my backup (SVCD) but I don't know if this applies to VCD format.When I burned MPEG2 format using Nero, all I could do was ff search, rewind. I use to use Nero after encoding was finished and use the wizard>SVCD> burn as MPEG2. It's difficullt for me to steer you in the right direction because I don't do VCD format because the video quality is really crappy compared to SVCD. When you tried Nero, did you tick the box "create standard compliant cd"? If you live in the USA then NTSC should be ticked, outside the USA then PAL.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2003