1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV Receiver question

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by breeze773, Feb 22, 2005.

1. breeze773

breeze773 Member

I just bought a new receiver and have a question about component and s video.
    The 3 things in my system I'm concerned with right now are the DVD player, recevier and TV.
    Currently I have S video out of the DVD in to receiver, then s video out from receiver in to TV.
    My DVD player has s video and component out
    Receiver has s video and component in and out but my TV only has s video in.

What I've been wondering is if I would get any significant improvement in picture quality if I changed to using component from DVD to receiver while still keeping s video between the recevier and the TV.

I guess in theory it would be better since I'm isolating more signals on at least one hop, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in this setup or if it's just not worth the bother.

Thanks

2. breeze773

breeze773 Member

oops. Posted this on the wrong board. It's been moved.

3. bcardell

bcardell Member

I'm no expert but don't think you would see any improvement, and I suspect that it wouldn't work at all. I think that you NEED to use component cables to the TV if you are using component cables to the receiver. You usually have to use the same type of cable through the entire line from source to target. If your receiver is fancy, it might be able to "upconvert" an S-video signal input into a component video signal output, but what your asking would require "downconverting", and I'm not sure if they can do that. I know that it wouldn't work for me when I tried to go s-video from the DVD to receiver, and then composite from the receiver to the TV. If you've got your recever's manual, it might have some notes in it about connection type compatability. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  4. lizardboy

lizardboy Member

i'm pretty sure the setup in our home is the dvd player is connected to the mirantz A/V receiver via an s vid cable and the receiver is connected to the tv via svideo but the vcr (wtf is that? :p) is connected via componant rca cables. i'm not sure if thats what you mean, a good receiver should be able to take any signal and put it throught another in my mind.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

MOst (ALL) receivers only do "switching" of the video sources. So if you have a VCR, a DVD and a Satalite and they ALL have Svideo outs on them, you can connect each one of the svideo to an INPUT on the amp. Then have ONLY one svideo line going to the tv. Now whatever mode (video, dvd, radio, cd, tape) you put the receiver to will determine what input the amp will connect to the output to the TV.

It will NOT however change an Svideo line in to a composite line out. It just doesnt do it. So if your TV ONLY has Svideo line in then you HAVE to use the Svideo out on the DVD.