1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new bittorrent user

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by soccerfan, Nov 20, 2004.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan Member

I'm a new bittorrent user and i'm still kinda lost in how this all works. I've been downloading some movies off of suprnova.org...most of them are DVD-rip, and there are even some called "screener". Are these movies possible to be viewed on media player...and can these movies be copied to a DVD.
    Sometimes when I download a movie it says that there is an error..something about "blacklisted" and that there is an erro on port 6889 or something like that...
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME??...I WOULD APPRECIATE IT A LOT.
    THANKS,
    soccerfan

2. oni103

oni103 Member

sup soccerfan,welcome to the wonderful world of bitorrent my friend!

Well there are 4 main types of movie releases I'll order them by quality:

[bold]Cam[/bold]: Most likely a person recording a movie from his/her seat.
    [bold]Telesync[/bold]:don't know much about it cept it is step up in quality as far as a cam goes
    [bold]Screener[/bold]: It is very close to a dvd-rip, cept for the the frequent watermarks and perioocally turns black and white throughout movie(sometimes has a clock on top)
    [bold]Dvd-Rip[/bold]: the best of the best,usually come out a week before the actual dvd comes out

And yes you can play all these on DVD's but I do some research on how to make(i have burner but no dvdplayer lol) , only thing I know is that if it's vcd the audio has to 48 khz(i'm guessing it vcd since you said it's a screener).

Most trackers "blacklist" the default BT ports(6881-6888), so you're gonna have to configure your client and router to some new ones. I not a buff on routers but I used just about every bitorrent client there is, which 1 are you using?

3. soccerfan

soccerfan Member

Thanks for the help oni103..I appreciate it...I'm using the current veriosn 3.4.2 of bittorrent
    How do I configure my ports??.

4. oni103

oni103 Member

wow the orginal client, haven't used that in awhile. So there should be a options or preference option on the window(the window from which downloading from). Click on it and it should show your port ranges. All you then is type in the numbers of ports you opened(assuming you did, like I said I don't know much about routers if you have one) in the range.
    For example, you opened ports 60000-60005 on your router, you would type these where it says 6881-6888

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  5. soccerfan

soccerfan Member

hey oni103,
    my bittorrent doesnt have any menues to change the ports. Its just simply a small box that shows the progress of the download.
    Can you give me another bittorent that you use so I can change the ports?.
    Thanks,
    soccerfan

6. oni103

oni103 Member

Yeah thats the one I was talking about it should have some options on top it(haven't used orginal cliet in a looong time lol), anyways how rude of me not to suggest a different client.

The main one's I use is g3torrent and azureus. G3 is the simpler of the two but I can't live without my azurues(I have a crappy computer and azureus helps network disconnects) so I would suggest u start with g3. Here is how to set up ports for this client:

Install
    Go to options, Preferences, Network Options, And then put your port range where it says "Port Range"

Azureus is easy all you have to do is:
    tools, options in put the first number of your port range where it says "Incoming Tcp Port"

But I wouldn't reccommmend it to new users like yourself, but hey it's worth a try(it is the best client as far as I'm concerned)