1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Blu-ray drive help

Discussion in 'PS3' started by ohmss, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi All,

Quick question

I have just bought a slim ps3 off someone locally who stated that it had a disc read error. Stupidly I bought it without checking inside the box. Upon inspection it had the blu-ray drive missing. No luck contacting this guy either. Am I buggered now even if I purchase another drive from ebay? I believe drives need to marry the motherboard right?

Thanks to all
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

Sorry to tell you, but yes. There are a few ways (like turning the system into a dev unit), but with a system that has been already tempered with and can have anything from a bad fixed YLOD to internal damage due to dropping I personally wouldn't consider it worth it.
  4. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Well I've placed a hdd inside and it boots up and works fine. It is the cech 2503a and upon a little googling I've read that model doesn't need the drive remarried, the laser connects to the motherboard. Is that correct?

Thanks
  5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

CECH2500, CECH3000 without daughterboard

CECH-25xx (and later CECH-30xx) series moved the components from the daughterboard to the main PS3 motherboard. Thus there are more/different flatcables used to connect the drive. They are electrical inter-changable (2500<>3000), but mounting differs slightly. It can be modified to fit by cutting some plastic pins on the bottom front of the drive (to make it fit properly with the start/eject board).
    Note: there is conflicting mention of KES-450, KES-460, KES-470 in these models (which physically are interchangeable, but some sources mention higher numbers not working on consoles with originally KES-450)

taken from ps3devwiki :3
  6. tongs007

tongs007 Regular member

Cyprien your knowledge on ps3 is amazing. you are a very clever boy and i read all your ps3 posts
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  7. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi Cyprien, thanks ever so much for you advise. I received the drive KEM-450DAA TYPE and connected and it works flawlessly. Yay :)
  8. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member