1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New board and processor Windows freezing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skmills, Nov 10, 2004.

1. skmills

skmills Member

Hi, posted this on another site, thought I'd try here\;

Hey all...I'm very new to this forum stuff so please bear with me..
    Just got a new Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800+, and 512MB DDR Azenram.
    First off I had a hell of a time setting up the advanced chipset features in the bios to get the performance I was supposed to...now after that's all been done and XP PRO installed the computer keeps freezing..

Windows boots fine and very fast...once booted though and I start to run different applications...especially downloading the computer just locks up...after a few seconds I get a couple seconds where I can move the cursor and then it locks up again and so on. With performance monitor open the cpu usage spikes and drops and so on....I'm at my wits end with this machine....can anybody help????

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

What advanced chipset options did you configure and are you sure you didn't 'push' too far? Try resetting the Bios to defaults and see if the freezing persists.
    If it stops,you know why. Increase performance in increments and test system after each change.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It sounds like you have the wrong settings for the RAM.