1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Brand: e3works

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by A_Klingon, Jul 17, 2002.

1. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

I just bought 3 10-packs of a new brand of cdr called 'e3works'. Though touted as ideal for music archiving ("The DJ-style compact disc"), I'm sure they're just standard cdrs.

Any experiences pro or con? The master molds seem to come from that old Asian cdr workhorse, Gigastorage, although these discs physically look far different than any Gigastorage disc I ever saw.

I must admit, they look very cute. Jet black on both sides (like Memorex black), but the tops actually look like a vinyl record, right down to the record grooves, which actually *are* grooves. (You can feel the ridges with your fingertips). They are called "Vinyl" cdrs, but are just as rigid as any normal cdr.

http://www.e3works.com

The tops seem *ultra* sturdy, that is, I expect they have quite a secure top layer of buff protection because of the thick-ish nature of the grooves.

ATIP: 97m 28s 12f
    Disc Manufacturer: Gigastorage Corp.
    Recording layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Nominal Capacity: 702.83 MB (79m 59s 74f/LBA: 359849)
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown

Bright orange box says 1x to 24x recording speed. $12.00 Can. per box of ten, no jewel case.

I had a 50-pak spindle of (the regular) gigastorage discs once, and don't recall any particular problems.

But I admit, these black 'vinyl dj' cds looked so sexy and appropriate for the task at hand, that I've taken to using them as data discs for my ogg vorbis music files.

Is it just me, or do you think black discs (in general) scratch more easily than regular silver/green discs? It seems every miniscule scratch shows up clearly even though I treat the discs with care. Perhaps they're no more sensitive than other discs, and the scratches are simply more evident on the black surface. (???)

Thanks.

-- KlingonAgent --

2. sadcat

sadcat Guest

I buy the same. They appear to be of good quality. The top surface is simply serigraphy printing.
    The black cds are not more sensitives to scratches, they are made with the same polycarbonate base. The scratches are more apparents because of the dark tint.

Bye!