1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem New build PC issue (i think)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bedocoman, Sep 8, 2017.

1. bedocoman

bedocoman Newbie

This may sound a strange one i have just complated a new build and ave win 8.1 - i just have a feeling its not powering down properly - what makes me think this ?
    1, i have a sd card reader which conect to the motherboard the red light stays one 9old pc it didnt the unit went off()
    2, i have a wireless mouse that needs to be plugged in to recharge - when i turned the pc off today=t it still chatrged the mouse i am not sure if this is possoble

Anyway i am hoping that this makes sese and i can get some help with it

2. aldan

aldan Active member

dont really understand what you are asking with the first question.as for the second question,yes it can charge thru the usb ports with the pc off.that is a setting in your bios.if you could clarify the first question and list your pc specs we can have a go at it.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

it's not uncommon for usb ports to stay up as long as the system has standby power on.. even my 2001 xp desktop (very very bad caps) keeps it's usb power alive when apparently powered down..

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is why I use a powerbar to turn everything off after windows shuts down.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

I like my usb's to stay up on that heap.. charge my powerbanks and tablets from it mostly.. because who the hell wants to boot a 2005 install of XP these days?

(yes.. it's that antique.. still going if you have the skills on the backside and front to power right down.. wait for the little squeek.. and then hit the psu power and the front button within 1 second.. bad bad bad caps)

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just finished working on a xp machine today for a customer. windows was corrupted so had to connect drive to my motherboard to run scandisk on it. corrected the problem & windows loaded ok telling me I did not upgrade it to win7 which I thought I did a few years back.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

I keep a couple around for arduino and publishing stuff.. mainly because it manages to have drivers for my printer and scanner.. and I do like M$ Publisher for making quick posters and stuff like that..

I have a 486 running.. windows 3.22 ffs.. was playing Doom on it on new years day.. could do with more than 18mb ram tho.. can't find any simms at a good price.. think my only big ones got junked over 7 years ago in another 486 that really I should have kept.. .. and yes.. it does actually connect to the internet.. it's ne2000 card still works..