1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new build powers up, but...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Deadrum33, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I press the power button and every light comes on, fans start (video card too), the hdd spins everything looks like a "normal" startup, no beeps at all.
    My monitor says no signal (tried 2 different video cards), there is no startup screen or any way to load O/S. I havent tried switching jumpers and hooking up a floppy to flash BIOS, or a new CMOS battery yet cause everything is new except hdd, but just getting opinions on all things to look for.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Have you tried a different monitor?

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm using it now (Viewsonic-VX710) as we speak on my main machine, it works. I know there was a disc that came with it and opened all the color and resolution settings but it should still display with a new build shouldnt it? The 5 other computers I built didnt have that problem.
    Thanks for the reply though, it gets things flowing and problems solved faster :)

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Don't know if the board has on board video on it but if it does make sure it's disabled if installing a seperate vid card.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

No onboard video (Asus A8S-X mobo), and I know its not a video card problem because I checked them in a different machine.
    Dont be afraid to toss up more ideas people! Its greatly appreciated.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Did this harddrive have windows installed on it previously? And if so did you wipe the drive and do a clean install before using the harddrive again? If not I bet that that is your problem.

7. BadBone

BadBone Guest

Just a guess, have you tried both types of video cards, i know in my bios i have to option to choose which one to use; either VGA or PCI

From my experience, boot problems occur mostly due to memory, one of the most popular effect i normally get is what you are now experiencing, "no video"

have you tried different memory in it, even new ones can come with defects, or mabye it just not seated in snugly or just isn't compatible

Hope that helps

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Yes and I used windows disc manager to format it before the build. I even tested with it disconnected from the motherboard cause I should still get a startup screen shouldnt I?

I havent tried new sticks but have switched slots. Will try some other that I have maybe Sunday because I am very busy this weekend. Wouldnt I get a beep code telling me I had bad memory anyway? I seriously get no beeps and everything powers up smoothly, but the monitor never kicks on.
    Thanks again evry1 for the help. Keep it coming!!!

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables to drives. remove all cards & ram except for videocard & 1 stick of ram, reseat those 2. are both power connectors from psu plugged into mb? does videocard need extra power connector to work? try another psu on the board & not to drives.

10. nicci6

nicci6 Member

i'm having a similar issue - had to send a board in for RMA, got the replacement board all hooked up, and no video. I only get beep codes when i completely remove memory - otherwise I get no beeps... disconnected everything but cpu, memory, and video card (tried two different cards). I'm fairly certain it's not the vid card, but who knows.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I wish I could say the problem is solved but with with my sons graduation last weekend, working during the week along with getting ready for my bands big show tonight, I havent tried DDP's fix yet.
    I will in the next few days though, I'd rather keep DDP's attention and help with these things rather than a lightning bolt... :p

12. nicci6

nicci6 Member

Tried DDP's suggestion - i realized i still had all the power connectors plugged in the drives - tried again with the hd, cpu, 1 stick of memory, and video, and i got video. I can use either stick of memory, but can only use one stick - if i put in both, no video. I guess i'll be back in touch with asus... yippee.

Thanks DDP for the suggestion!

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

nicci6, no problem. what board & what size is the ram?

14. nicci6

nicci6 Member

the board is a P4P800-E deluxe. I have two sticks of 512 MB DDR - can't remember all the other specs...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Thats the same mobo that I have. I doubt it is the mobo, but it could be. Have you tried using a different one?

16. nicci6

nicci6 Member

I don't have another p4 board. It's all the same hardware I used on the previous board, never had a problem with any of it. I'm hoping it's a setting on the board or in the bios or something stupid like that...

17. nicci6

nicci6 Member

By the by - I finally talked to someone at ASUS - they're having me manually set the timings for the memory in the bios (not working - still no video with both sticks), and the only other suggestion was to upgrade the bios version. If that doesn't work, they'll give me an RMA...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have plugged the 4 pin CPU power connector in right? It's so obvious a lot of people miss it.