1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW BUILD PROBLEM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hicjam, May 6, 2007.

1. hicjam

hicjam Member

hi everyone got a problem thats driving me nuts can anyone help?????
    just finished new build all cables are connected to where they should be..everthing seems to work now my problem is this the system cannot find the h/d no matter what I do Icant fix this prob...I have a pata h/d..the system is gigabyte tech..dual core processor...twin dvd burners I have been into the cmos and bios screens and made sure of the settings so now I ask you for your help..you may well have an answer that could solve the prob please help if poss thank you all

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

jumper on hd? Power connected to hd? Tried hd on all IDE channels? IDE enabled in BIOS?

3. hicjam

hicjam Member

thank you for your reply...jumper is set to master...power leads connected...being a gigabyte mother board only one ide connector.. 2 dvd burners are connected to that one h/d is connected via sata cable to sata socket on the board..ide enabled

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I am confused about what kind of hard drive you have, because in your post you mentioned a PATA, that is, IDE hard drive...

Did you mean to type 'sata'? Or did you really mean pata?

Huh? SATA drives don't need jumper adjustments.

Serial ATA interface disc drives are designed for easy installation. In general, it is not necessary to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on the drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector is for factory use only.

Wrong setting could make drive undetectable.

For example, on Western Digital SATA hard drives, the jumpers are factory set for desktop/workstation use. Moving them allows setting various special modes, including...

PM2 Enabled Mode: to enable power-up in standby (power
    management 2 or PM2) mode, place a jumper on pins 3–4.
    This mode enables controlled spinup by spinup command
    in accordance with ATA standard and is mainly for
    server/workstation environments operating in multiple-drive
    configurations.

Note: The PM2 feature is not available on all WD SATA drives.

Important: PM2 mode requires a compatible BIOS that
    supports this feature. If PM2 is enabled and not supported by
    BIOS, the drive does not spin up and therefore is not detected by
    the system.

If it is SATA, you don't have a master/slave setting, and you should leave any jumpers in their as-delivered position.

If it is PATA, you cannot plug it into a SATA socket.

So what gives?

You definitely have native SATA support enabled in the BIOS?

What is your hard drive maker, and model number? Also your motherboard?

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

6. hicjam

hicjam Member

strewth you really know your stuff Indochine well I can give you a little info the pc is back in its box till tomorrow on the hdd it says PATA. On the rear of it now I know this sounds weird but I have used a sata adapter and plugged the SATA cable into that then into one of the 4 SATA sockets on the motherboard the number of which is as follows GA - 945PL - S3 I will have to check to see if I have native SATA support in the bios I will contact you monday ok

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

[​IMG]

Is this your motherboard? A Gigabyte GA-945PL S3. This board has four 3GB/s SATA channels and a single IDE channel (up to two Ultra DMA100/66 devices) and a floppy connector.

Anyway, back to the hard drive. If it is definitely PATA then it is an IDE hard drive. You have used a PATA to SATA adapter?

Like this?

[​IMG]

That Soyo one has 7 jumpers that have to be set right. I daresay others are similar.

Some motherboards don't work well with PATA drives on SATA adapters. You could try connecting the PATA drive to one of the IDE ports to see if it works...

You could try attaching one of the DVD drives to the SATA adapter and see if that is now not recognised, which would localise the problem to the adapter...

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  8. hicjam

hicjam Member

wow yes you do know your stuff that is my motherboard and yes I have used a pata to sata adapter but it is unlike the one you have found how to explain well it is meerly a small black block as it were which is pushed into the socket on the rear of the hdd this in turn has two sockets one which you attach the sata cable and the other is a small 4 pin socket.
    I will try doing what you have told me to do tomorrow when I am fresh I thank you so very much for your time and efforts to help me to try and resolve the problem the name on the top of the adapter is called SERIELLE thank you once again

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That's for the power I think... What goes in there?

Is it like this?

[​IMG]

10. hicjam

hicjam Member

hello Indochine right the pic you have posted is unlike the one I have in my pc the one I have plugs directly into the socket on the hdd then the sata cable into that which leaves a small 4pin socket which I am unsure of.
    this morning I done what you told me to do I disconected one dvd burner and connected the ide cable to the remaining one and also to the hdd then onto the motherboard and fired her up but still the same prob arose it cannot find any hdd I have bios set to floppy..hdd
    ..cd boot sequence in the cmos screen no drives are shown

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

When you connected the ide cable to one dvd drive and one ide hard drive

did you

(1) make jumper settings right... HDD master, DVD drive slave
    (2) go into BIOS and see that hdd was recognised?

... you say no drives are shown? They all have DC power?

Possibly motherboard is faulty?

12. hicjam

hicjam Member

hiya sorry its been so long getting back to you but only just this minute finished with other pc yes the answer to your latest question is yes that was my first job went into bios and all is recognised,
    but I cant seem to load o/s although there is an o/s already on the disc that I left there from the previous pc but now I cant seem to format the damn thing ha ha if its not one thing its another dont you think, anyway at least we are getting there I would have been stumped had it not been for your help this week mate thank you

13. hicjam

hicjam Member

hello Indochine just thought I would let you know that i have given up the ghost on my new pc and took it into the shop where I bought all the parts I explained everything to them and they are going to have a look at it,
    Thank you for all your time and effort in trying to help me out in this matter sorry I didn't have the staying power to carry on myself
    but I just couldn't carry on like I was doing thank you