1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem New Build - Suddenly shut down and monitor stopped receiving signal.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Flawnex, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I just finished my first PC build, which I've had issues building, with the old motherboard. I now got the new motherboard and re-built the PC again. Everything was working fine, I managed to install Windows, and was installing some software and monitoring the temperatures when suddenly the PC started rebooting and then shut down. I tried to reboot it obviously but the monitor wasn't receiving signal from neither my GPU or Motherboard. I had some Graphics Drivers downloading in the background on it's own by Geforce Experience, so I guess it could have been that it tried to apply the new Drivers but shut down during boot? Though why doesn't it work with the DVI-D cable attached to the motherboard? Anyways, here's my specs:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Asrock A88M-G/3.1
    AMD Athlon 860K (With stock cooler)
    Corsair CX500
    Versa H21
    Ballistix Sport 2x4GB

Looking for some quick suggestions of what the issue could be and what I can do to fix it.

I've tried removing CMOS battery and booting with just 1 RAM stick.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables to drives, reseat both power connectors to motherboard, use 1 stick of ram after reseating it. remove videocard & use onboard video.

3. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I did what you suggested, and still no signal on monitor. Though I didn't test the onboard video, I've only used the GPU, so I guess there's also a possibility that the onboard video is somehow broken/incompatible.

4. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I know it's christmas, but I'd love to get a response, because I want this PC running again.

5. ddp

try another psu even if borrowed from a friend.

6. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

You think the power supply broke down somehow, though the fans spin and the hard drive also starts to spin? It's difficult to get a psu borrowed now when I'm off from the city for xmas, or any other extra equipment overall.

7. ddp

fans run on 12 volts, the motherboard also needs 3 & 5 volts to run.

8. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

Is that information relevant as it did work perfectly fine and what I've looked up 400w should be enough for this PC.

Edit: Also there might be the chance that it's not working because of the driver installation thing, though I'm not sure if it's because of that.

9. ddp

is not a driver issue if nothing is seen before windows loads as the driver only works in windows not before. because the fans & hdd spin does not mean the psu is good until you try another psu to see if still have same issue or not.

10. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

Have you found fix for that?
    I know it might sound stupid but my neighbour in Sweden called me couple of days ago with similar issue with his website. I've tried to boot with only 1 ram in mobo and nothing. I've tried couple of combinations of RAM in different slots and it turned out that (he had 4 slots) ram in 2 of them wasn't booting monitor, but the other two were working, which was weird. So finally I had to find the perfect combination for two RAM sticks and now it's working flawlessly.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021