1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question New Capture Card

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Bill Corrigan, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Corrigan

Bill Corrigan Newbie

Need a little advice: For several years I’ve had a Diamond Theatre 650 TV Wonder PCI Card. Up until Win8 it worked fine, though it was a little buggy in Win7. With win8, and 8.1, it will not load the drivers, doesn’t even see card when installing. If I force an install, I can get it to work, but only Nero Vision will see the card, and only very limited functions.

So…time to move on. My options seem to be another ATI card, but they seem to have stopped supporting them. Haven’t updated drivers since like 2011. Would a Theatre 750 PCI-e be more compatible? Or would a Hauppauge be better? I hear they aren’t as good as they used to be. And which one? I don’t care so much about TV Tuners, used to use the ATI for that in XP, but I have cut the cable and pretty much watch Netflix/Hulu now. More concerned about analog capture (VHS>PC). Have a ton of old VHS/VHS-C home movies only about halfway through converting.

Or, would a USB capture work just as well? They are mostly cheaper than internal cards, but will the capture quality be equal? And what’s best, Haupauge, Diamond (probably ATI based), EZCap or Pinnacle? Have read good and bad about all. Things I care about most: WORKS with Win 8.1 64 (and 10 soon), Stable, supported drivers/software (needs to work with more than just Nero, Virtualdub capture would be a plus), Quality of capture, Ability to choose capture format/codec.

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (overclock 4.0GHz)

Memory : Corsair DDR3 8124MB(1800)

Mother Board : ASRock Z87 Extreme4

Windows Version : Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Pro with Media Center

Monitor : ViewSonic VA2231 Series

Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Mouse : USB Input Device

Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device

Disk Drive : WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0(931GB,IDE)

Disk Drive : WD My Book 1230 USB Device(2794GB,USB)

DVD/CD-ROM Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.