1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer makes DVD's faster

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jimbo1mcm, May 27, 2003.

1. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Member

Old computer was 933MHtz,P3,512ram. It took 46 minutes to rip HP2 to HD (WD80gig,7200rpm)with DVD Decrypter using Sony 500ax.(2x) It then took another 45 minutes to decode with DVD2one and about 24 minutes to write to Verbatim 2.4+R. Per Shoey et al, I put in a Liteon 166. I also got a P4,2.53MHtz,with 1gig ram.
    It now takes 16 minutes to rip HP2 to HD with the Liteon. It then takes 20 minutes to decode with DVD2one.(The new CPU operates around 85-90%, while the old CPU stayed at 99-100% for the whole decoding process). I now write at 4x using the Sony and Verbatim 4x +r. I can also copy my copy on the fly using Nero 5.10.20. Takes about 14 minutes to copy a copy. Thanks for speeding me up everyone.

2. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

Yes, however if you use DVDShrink it decodes at the same time as re-encoding saving you time. I have learnt recently that ripping speed is dependant on your drive reading speed crucially. I have a Pioneer 104 DVD-R and a Samsung DVD-ROM dive. The Samsung rips at 20% faster than the Pioneer.

3. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

.......by the way the Samsung takes typically 30 mins to rip & re-encode a disc and my system is AMD Athlon 1.3Ghz drive, 256mb memory and 64mb graphics.