1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Computer Starting, Shutting down and Restarting

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by htorihpeS, May 9, 2011.

1. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

With no cpu in, the computer will not turn on at all. I took the mobo out of the case and put it on cardboard but there is the same problem. Interestingly, the computer does the exact same thing even if there is no RAM in at all. I think I need to try with other RAM and another cpu. Does anyone know how I could determine if the cpu is operating properly or not?

Edit: The ram model is not in the list of ram my mobo supports. My mobo supports DDR3 240 pin 1.65v and 1.5v. My ram is 1.5v DDR3 240 pin 1600mhz. The mobo supports 1600mhz overclocked. Is there any way to make the ram compatible with the board?

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

I'm pretty sure that ram is still compatible. If your mobo doesn't support 1600mhz unless its overclocked, I think it just means your ram will run at the max speed your mobo allows, which is probably 1333mhz. Which means your faster ram just runs a bit slower than its supposed to. Not a big deal.

Honestly it sounds like your mobo is probably faulty. I would suggest bringing it into a PC store, and have them test both the mobo and cpu with known good working parts.

3. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

that is not always true, depends more or less on the Memory Controller. which if i'm not mistaken now resides on CPU Chip, an not on the North Bridge.

4. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

@OP: did you check to make sure you have no blown capacitors.

this is what a blown capacitor looks like.

[​IMG].

a computer will come on under the following conditions, will not post however.

Bad CPU: PC will power up but CPU Gets extremely hot really fast.(boiling point)
    No Ram/bad ram: PC will beep.
    Damaged IC: North-Bridge Chip gets really hot really fast.
    Bad Caps: computer May or may not post given the number of blown caps, Ive seen PC's with 2 blown caps run fine.

5. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

I think it is the ram. I'm getting more today that is compatible so I'll know tonight. I checked and there are no blown capacitors. I looked up my ram on the Corsair website and it is only compatible with one Asus board which is not the P8P67 LE (mine) and all other boards its compatible with are Gigabyte boards. When I turn the computer on with no ram in, it shuts off after three seconds and restarts and then stays on. When I turn it on with ram in, it stays on for 30 seconds, shuts off, turns on and stays on. The memok light flashes red and when I press the button, it behaves like it should. It blinks at an increasingly faster rate and checks all the failsafe settings for the ram but when it is finished, the light still flashes red. I think the motherboard is fine because it is performing the memok function exactly how the manual says it does. Its a bit too much of a coincidence that the memok light flashes red (signifying a ram problem) and my ram is incompatible with the board. I hope I'm right. In a way I'm hoping the cpu is broken so I can return it and get the unlocked i7 2600k instead.

6. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

I tried different ram and there is the same problem. It turned out my other ram was compatible as well. Therefore, the problem is either with the cpu or motherboard. What do you guys think? I haven't got another cpu to try with the mobo so I'm going to give my cpu to another guy to see if it works in his computer. Are POSt cards any good for finding the problem?