1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new computer

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by gypsy1963, Nov 9, 2003.

1. gypsy1963

gypsy1963 Member

we bought a new computer this weekend...came bundled with XP...it also came bundled with other software as well...but the software is on the restore disk, and the only way to be able to use that software is to use XP...but i prefer w2k...but i sure would like to be able to use the software i paid for...is there any way to extract the software from the restore disk?

thanks in advance

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You can use a free tool called CDMage and extract the entire content of the restore disc to a new folder but I don't see why you would do this because you'll find WinXP, hardware drivers and software on your restore discs m8.
    Maybe try a p2p file sharing client to download Win2k Pro....

Shoey :)

3. gypsy1963

gypsy1963 Member

i already have w2kpro...there are other softwares on the disk aside from the operating system that i want...like for example..microsoft money..but it is somehow embedded with the O/S...how do i extract it from there? where can i download the program you referred to?

Thanks!

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. If Money is already installed on your computer, you will have little chance of extracting it
    2. Odds are that, with most prebuilt systems, the software is in-fact, preinstalled and you cannot simply "take the software out" and install it somewhere else.

=====
    CDMage is an extremely poweful (and free) utility that allows for all sorts of manipulation with almost any type of CD Image. With CDMage, you can scan a BIN/CUE for errors and corruption, fix any corruption found (remember to make a backup first!) as well as extracting data from CD Images and creating CUE files from BIN files. You can download CDMage from http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html

5. gypsy1963

gypsy1963 Member

when i say that money is embedded in the o/s, what i mean is on the restore disk, the only thing that can be run is restore...when you run it, it installs the o/s and automatically any other software bundled with it..there is no option to install the extra software separately...it just automatically installs it all with the o/s. what i want to do is not install the o/s, but somehow get the embedded software off the disk so that i can use it with my preferred o/s rather then being forced to use it with the o/s the manufacturer has decided that i have to use.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Insert your restore disc(s) and right click with your mouse on the drive you inserted the restore disc and select "search". Now type in Money and see if you can locate the exe to install. Explore each folder of the restore disc(s) and look for exe's and install seperatly m8.

Shoey