1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD-9 dics and the crc errors they create on all rippers

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by spockeye, Jul 7, 2003.

1. spockeye

spockeye Member

I pulled this off a techtv article about the original DIVX crc algorithym. It gives the clue as to what is happening. I have tried as of 07/08/03 the lastest versions of smartripper, dvd decryptor, dvd shrink, dvd xcopy express all failing to overcome the crc errors at 46% on a new dvd-9 "harry potter and the chamber of secrets" where as "pearl harbor" was no trouble at all.

There is a small file on the disc in standard format, while the Divx format uses a different CRC algorithm that makes regular players and computers think that the data is all corrupted or just trash. DVD players (including personal computers) will run the stub file instead

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I had no problems with Chamber of Secrets. Im not sure i follow the link with DivX. Where you asking a question or stating a fact?

3. spockeye

spockeye Member

Maybe I just have a bad disc that still plays in a player.

Its a new disc.(DVD-9)

I see no scratches.

And this is my first obstacle.

After reading the thread and the suggestions for correction not working I pressed on with the crc errors and algorythims. when I found the explanation of the original divx encryption I figured it would shed light on this new subject.

4. raymondo

raymondo Guest

Possibly a different issue but now you mention CRCs I've noticed that when trying to copy some previously made copys the rippers come up with CRC errors. The files can't even be dragged using explorer. Is this part of a second generation copy protection system and can it be overcome? Sorry if this has been brought up before.

5. spockeye

spockeye Member

I noticed the exact samething trying to shrink a xcopy express burn. I started to think I had a drive going bad. You post gives me new confidence in my crc theory.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The one main draw back with DVD Shrink, is the CRC issue that it always stumbles on. However, anytime i have a problem trying to rip a DVD with DVD Shrink, I load up DVD Decrypter and it works fine. If your problem is pre-ripped media with DVD Shrink, then i suggest using DVD2One as it will generally work when DVD Shrink fails.

Chris

7. spockeye

spockeye Member

I get the crc error on smartripper and decrypter and shrink and xcopy xpress. dvd2one is not freeware so I dont want to try it. Xcopy is real finiky about the apsi layer and support wont help with any problems if certain software is installed. I have already purchased it so I am stuck with its perameters.