1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD drive not working =(

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kasy, Dec 8, 2004.

1. kasy

kasy Member

Hi, I just got a Sony DRU-710a and so i replaced my cdrw with it. I had a DVD drive, on master, and a CDRW drive, on slave, and i had planed to replace the CDRW with the DVDRW so i unplugged the CDRW and put in the DVDRW (on slave because the cdrw was on slave too). When i started the computer, the drive was recognized as "SONY DVD RW DRU-710A" but it wouldnt read cd's without crashing for the most part and for dvd's it wouldnt even detect there was a DVD in there. I tried downloading a firmware but it said I didnt have a DRU-710A when i tried to run it and gave some wierd numbers.

So i contacted tech support and they said i had to change the DVDRW to master. So i went back and changed the DVDRW to master and the DVD drive from master to slave. I started up the computer and it was still the same =(
    The firmware still says i dont have the dvdrw even though my computer detects it as one

So basically the DVDRW can read cd's but it freezes most of the time until eject and as for DVD's, it doesnt seem to recognize them at all.

Can anybody help me? I tried looking for a driver or something but all i could find was the firmware thing. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  2. kasy

kasy Member

help please =(

3. kasy

kasy Member

It seems to run cds with autorun just fine but when i try to explore the cd it loads and freezes the window.

I tested burning 2 music cds today. Everything seem to burn fine but when i listened to it, the first few songs were okay, but at about 12 minutes in i can start to hear little scratches. and as i kept listening they kept getting bigger and louder until like 18 minutes in, the cd isnt playable anymore even though the track index is all still there.

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Hi, Kasy, I'm sorry to hear about your problem, man. I really can't say I'm an expert on it, and only had a few drives act like that (they were bad, by the way, oooold cd roms). I would suggest maybe keeping your DVD Drive off of the ide line and just running the DVD burner as a master alone? See what that does?

Also, what OS are you running?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
  5. kasy

kasy Member

okay thanks, i'll try that and see if that helps.

im using XP by the way

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Kasy,
    Try this
    [bold]Uninstalling Your Drive(s)[/bold]

(1) Go to “Control Panel”
    (2) Double click on “System”
    (3) Click on “Hardware” tab
    (4) Click on “Device Manager”
    (5) Click on the “+” beside IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    (6) Right click on “Primary IDE Channel”
    (7) Then Click on “Uninstall”
    (8) Repeat steps 6 & 7 for each IDE Channel
    (9) Then click on the little “+” beside DVD/CD ROM Drives
    (10) Uninstall your drives in the same manner as described in 6 & 7 above
    (11) Exit out of Device manager and restart your system
    (12) Let Windows install your drives automatically

This should help seeing how you just installed a new drive. :)

best of luck

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

7. kasy

kasy Member

I tried both what Divinus and bbmayo suggested and neither seem to do anything. I'll try calling sony again but they dont seem to be much help

8. Adavis

Adavis Member

Just a thought, but it could be possible that you've uploaded the wrong firmware which would screw your drive up?. However if you've tried all the options suggested above i might consider fishing out that guarantee and demand that the drive be replaced. Also Check under Device manager that the manufacturer is actually Sony and not some third-party knock off.

Also - I know its a pain but anytime i buy a new piece of hardware i re-install my Operating system(from either an image file or onto a seperate dual boot partition). Xp can cease to work at all if more than 3 new devices are installed so perhaps 1 is causing some probs.

Good luck tracking this down...we all sympathize because we've all been there.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

kasey,
    Don't give up hope yet :) Hang in there!!

Ok try this... take your DVD drive off of the IDE Cable completely.

Hook up your writer to the end of the cable and make sure the jumper on the back is on Master..

If still no luck with that then try putting the jumper on cable select....

If any of those work let me know and I will tell you where to go from there

Best of Luck :)

bbmayo

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  10. kasy

kasy Member

I can't install any firmware because it says it doesnt detect the drive. I've also tried that bb, but it still doesnt work =(

I called Sony multiple times and they said they would replace it, so I guess I'll try that and if it doesnt work, then I'll be back =)

Thanks so much for the help, guys

11. henryting

henryting Regular member

hi,
    i have the same problem with you one day ago and was solved. You have to check the connection of your dvdwriter to your pc. Make sure that the first cable was not attached to your dvdwriter. ( the smallest wire). You will have 3 wires that connected your dvdwriter to your motherboard of you pc. So the first one which comes with the smallest cable/wire should not be attached to your dvdwriter. Once you detached that smallest wire your problem is solved.
    I think this will solve your problems.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

^^^^^^ ?????? what the?

The smallest wire is the audio cable to your sound card, this would not effect anything. Except that you couldn't hear sound from an audio CD

One power cable goes to power supply
    One IDE cable which goes to your MoBO.

Kasy it is very possible you got a bum drive :-( have you tried your old drive again to see if thats still working?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

13. billle123

billle123 Member

Kasy, I just bought a new sony Dru-710a and was unable to use dvd-r or dvd+r 8x or 16x, everytime I tried my drive would make this loud noise. I called sony and they told me to put my drive on the cable as master and
    to not install my cd drive on the same cable. this did not work nothing they told me worked so I was told to send the drive back for a replacement.also the software that came with the dvd (nero0 will not support
    your cdrw drive. I should be getting my drive back soon i will let you know what happen.;

14. kasy

kasy Member

My old drive still works fine, hopefully its something wrong with the dvdrw drive and not my computer.

I'm getting mine replaced too bille, let me know how it goes =)

15. billle123

billle123 Member

Kasy, I just got my sony drive back. I installed it and it works fine. I also have a memorex cd burner installed on the same cable as slave drive, I used the nero software provided with the memorex drive because the nero software that came with the sony drive would not support the cd drive. I used the cable provided with th sony drive. hope this helps, good luck.

16. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

kasy, I feel really bad for you. Maybe you should disconnect your other drive so the new Sony is the only one on the cable. Then make sure the pin on the back is set to MASTER. Since you have Win XP, it should recognize the drive and install the drivers for it automatically. At least this will tell you if the problem is the drive or you. ;)

17. kasy

kasy Member

I got a new one shipped from Sony. This one works, so I guess the old one was just faulty.

Thanks again for all the help =)

18. dnbselect

dnbselect Member

hey kasy. i had the EXACT same problems as you with this dvd drive. i have done evrything from replacing the connecting cable, to connecting it by itself, as master, and as slave. i originally wanted it set up as a slave to my original dvd player, replacing my cd burner. the instructions said to set the jumper to cable select if the drive you are replacing is set at that. i did that and my comp would recognize it, but when i tried to play a dvd, it was all choppy, jummpy, and pixilated. when i had it as the master alone, my comp either would not recoginze it, or just play the dvds crappy too. now its set as the master and my old dvd as the slave, and when i first turn my comp on it will recognize the dvd drive, but still not play correctly. but then after a bit, my comp will just stop recognizing it. maybe i should replace it too. :eek:(

19. sanderson

sanderson Guest

moral of the story You should have bought a pioneer. never had a problem with my a05 or a08. personal preference though good luck with your new burner

20. dnbselect

dnbselect Member

well i got it working. seems it was working good for some time. turns out it was the dvd i was using (the matrix) to test it was bad or something. which is weird because it plays just fine on my old dvd drive. i put in lotr and it played just fine. burned some stuff also w/ no prob. maybe this is a decent burner after all.