1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD RW Drive messes up explorer !

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by LDee, Jun 9, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi all,

I just bought a new dvd-rw drive for my Dell Latitude 120L laptop. This is the drive I bought:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120298

After putting it in, switched on the pc and windows started to boot as normal but a bit slow, upon the desktop appearing no explorer loaded up, nothing happened. I ctrl+alt+del and started explorer and the system them seems to be fine, the drive reads dvd's fine, haven't burned one with it yet though.

Any ideas?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Make sure your connections are right, such as the jumpers on the back (should be set to "Cable select" if it is a Dell PC) and the IDE cables, etc.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

There are no jumpers, um, I don't think slimline IDE drives have jumpers do they? Not any that I've seen anyway....

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yep, you're right. Sorry; slipped my mind.

Anyway, when you get into explorer, can you tell us if there are any yellow exclamtion marks next to the hardware.

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

No exclamation marks in device manager, hardware seems to be recognized normally, seems to function normally.

Now some boots are ok, some boot explorer doesn't work properly (the process seems to be running but nothing on screen). I ctrl+alt+del and run explorer, sometimes have to do this twice, explorer starts and my documents folder is open on screen for some reason? If I have to run explorer twice to get it to start there are two instances of the my documents folder open on screen.

However many times I run explorer theres always just one instance showing in the processes in task manager.