1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVDFAB Decrypter + VobBlanker + DVD Shrink + ImgBurn guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

UPDATED 12-13-06: PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN 2: DEAD MAN'S CHEST (US, REGION 1) guide.

New DVDFAB Decrypter + VobBlanker (or FixVTS) + DVD Shrink + ImgBurn guide (all FREE tools)

NOTE: this FREE guide is specifically designed to backup the DVDs that you owned only. Furthermore, it's for "newbies" or those that are interested to use DVDFab Decrypter, VobBlanker or FixVTS + DVD Shrink and ImgBurn.

In this guide, you'll learn how to do the following:
    <> DVDFab Decrypter Installation
    <> Settings via DVDFab Decrypter
    <> Ripping the DVD with DVDFab Decrypter
    <> VobBlanker Installation & Blanking, Deleting or simply Processing the VIDEO_TS.IFO with VobBlanker
    <> Processing the VOB files or backup with FixVTS
    <> Transcoding the backup or VIDEO_TS (ripped files) with DVD Shrink
    <> Burning the ISO image with ImgBurn (The Ultimate Image Burner from Lightning UK)

Tools
    DVDFab Decrypter - http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm
    Latest VobBlanker - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=898541#post898541
    VobBlanker homepage - http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/vobblanker.htm
    FixVTS - http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/
    DVD Shrink - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/

A big thanks to Fengtao for creating one of the best FREE ripper available to all of us. DVDFab Decrypter is definitely one of the best free ripper beside RipIt4Me (another flawless FREE ripper).

NOTE: Before you're going to rip any DVDs/movies or insert any original DVDs into your drive, let's "disable AutoRun" (this is highly recommend) to prevent from getting hijacked by Settec's Alpha-DVD protection. Some DVDs will install bunch of craps into your system without your consent if you have AutoRun turn "On" and it will abort or crash your system when it's transcoding or burning. In addition, it even goes as far as removing your burners, etc.

How to Disable Autorun via Win XP Pro

(01) click on Start
    (02) Run, then type regedit then click OK (yes... exactly like this)
    (03) click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    (04) click SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet
    (05) click on Services
    (06) highlight the folder on Cdrom
    (07) right click on "AutoRun" on the right hand panel
    (08) then choose Modify and change the Value Data to 0 (zero), click OK
    (09) now EXIT out from regedit
    (10) restart your computer/system and you'll be fine, AutoRun has been disabled.

STEP 1: DVDFab Decrypter Installation

Click on DVDFab Decrypter's setup to install.

[​IMG]

Click OK

[​IMG]

Click Next

[​IMG]

Click Next

[​IMG]

Click Next

[​IMG]

Click Next

[​IMG]

Click Finish

[​IMG]

STEP 1.2: Settings via DVDFab Decrypter

Once you click Finish, DVDFab Decrypter will launch. Now it's time to make a few settings. The choice is yours, you can simply use DVDFab's default settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on Read. I like to set mine to "Enable read-ahead cache, "Ask retry/ignore/abort when reading error" and have them set to 8. However, the choice is yours.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is very important; you have to know where you from and specify the original DVD/disc's region code, so DVDFab Decrypter can take care of the job easily.

[​IMG]

When you're done, click OK at below and EXIT out.

[​IMG]

STEP 1.3: Ripping the DVD with DVDFab Decrypter

Now insert the original DVD (PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN 2: Dead Man's Chest) or any DVD you want to rip into the drive.

[​IMG]

Once DVDFab Decrypter launched, it should do a quick scanning.

[​IMG]

The new DVDFab Decrypter has the option to rip the movie/DVD as an ISO image file now. The choice is yours -- I'm more into VIDEO_TS since I like to edit all of my backups via VobBlanker.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is if you're going to rip the DVD as an ISO image only. Navigate and locate a Folder from the hard driver for the "ISO Target."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Source" is where the original DVD is located. "Target" is the Folder that DVDFab is going to rip the DVD into.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is if you're using/ripping "Main Movie" mode only.

[​IMG]

Take out all other unwanted "Languages & Subpicture" to gain more quality.

[​IMG]

When your ready, click START and DVDFab will start to rip the DVD.

[​IMG]

Relax and sit tight, DVDFab is ripping the DVD/movie now.

[​IMG]

Again, just relax. DVDFab should be done shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: for those that don't want to use VobBlanker or FixVTS, feel free to skip any of these steps and simply go straight to DVD Shrink (STEP 3). I like to edit all of my backups (blank and delete unwanted junks like "FBI Warnings, Rating Logos, Previews/Trailers/Advertise, etc.") However, I highly recommend you at least process your already ripped files (VOB or VTS) with FixVTS. The choice is yours.

STEP 2: VobBlanker Installation

Double click to open VobBlanker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now extract VobBlanker to a folder in "hard drive" or "C:\Program Files\"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you click OK, WinRAR will extract and put VobBlanker to that folder.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is just to make a shortcut for VobBlanker only.

[​IMG]

STEP 2.1: Blanking, Deleting or Processing the VIDEO_TS.IFO through VobBlanker

NOTE: If you don't want to use VobBlanker to edit, blank or delete any VTS or PGC, then go straight to STEP 2.2 (FixVTS) to process the already ripped VOB or VTS files. Why we must need it? Because FixVTS will clean and filter out any left over corrupted or tiny unreferenced junks (VTS/Cells/PGCs, etc.) Yes, even the new "God of Ripper" aka RipIt4Me is using FixVTS to process/clean after it's been ripped. Furthermore, AnyDVD (a retail decrypting tool) is using FixVTS or something similar as well.

For more info on how to use VobBlanker to Blank, Delete, go here http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides.htm
    For basic Blanking or Deleting process, go here http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1481

[​IMG]

Input Video Manager (VIDEO_TS.IFO) is the Folder where DVDFab Decrypter ripped into earlier, so use the Browse button to locate the ripped VIDEO_TS folder.
    Output Folder is going to be the new "Destination/Target Folder," so Browse and locate a new Folder from the hard drive. You can create one manually from the hard drive and point the "Output Folder" to it.
    Example: BLANKER PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN 2 and a sub VIDEO_TS folder
    (D:\BLANKER PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN 2\VIDEO_TS)

[​IMG]

NOTE: for this movie, I have VobBlanker delete and blank out everything, except the Main Movie & Menu.
    I also edited/deleted some useless menus as well.
    Once everthing's set, click PROCESS!! VobBlanker will start to "process" it should be done shortly (5 minutes).

[​IMG]

Now VobBlanker is blanking and processing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it!! VobBlanker is done. Now it's time to transcode the movie with DVD Shrink.

[​IMG]

STEP 2.2: Processing the VOB files with FixVTS

For more info on how to use FixVTS, go here http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/

NOTE: This is another flawless step if you didn't used VobBlanker. I highly recommend this step because FixVTS will be able to fix the most common error with DVD Shrink like: "DVD Shrink has encountered an error and can not continue." However, the choice is yours -- so feel free to skip this step if you deemed that DVDFab Decrypter has taken care of all the protections and tiny corrupted junks.

Open up FixVTS. Since I didn't make a shortcut for FixVTS, I'll have to open from my HD.

[​IMG]

Once FixVTS is launched, you'll need to navigate to the HD and locate the already ripped VOB & VTS there.

[​IMG]

Now just drag and drop any VTS or VOB file into FixVTS and start processing.
    NOTE: You can do either "in place (no backup!)" this will be faster. Or you can "untick" and have FixVTS do a backup for you, once it's done you'll have a brand new Folder called FixVTSBackup. Once you get the new folder from FixVTS, delete the old folder and continue with DVD Shrink using FixVTSBackup's folder.

[​IMG]

You can use Cleanup! for just the specified VOB or FullDVD for the whole DVD.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is for "in place (no backup!)" mode only.

[​IMG]

This is the backup mode by unticking the "in place (no backup!)"

[​IMG]

Now FixVTS is cleaning and processing, so relax and it should be done shortly.

[​IMG]

That's it... FixVTS is done processing/cleaning with the FullDVD. Now it's safe to continue with DVD Shrink.

[​IMG]

Everything looks good here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: This is how to open the files from FixVTS when using DVD Shrink via "Open Files."

[​IMG]

STEP 3: Transcoding the backup or VIDEO_TS (ripped files) with DVD Shrink

Now launch DVD Shrink

[​IMG]

Click on "Open Files"

[​IMG]

Navigate and locate the VIDEO_TS folder and click OK.

[​IMG]

DVD Shrink should do a "quick Analysing" now.

[​IMG]

With 69.6% on Video Quality ratio (meaning there are 30.4% needs to be transcoded), DVD Shrink should be able to produce a good quality backup using "DA + AEC + Max Smooth or Sharp"

[​IMG]

NOTE: This is if you're going to "Re-author" your backup with just the Main Movie only. Simply drag the Main Movie (Title 1) and drop under "DVD Structure."

[​IMG]

click on Backup!

[​IMG]

Click Target Device, then Arrow down and choose your desire "Backup Target". Again, I prefer DVD Shrink to finish the job then create an ISO image to my hard drive instead of "auto-burn" with DVD Decrypter, Nero or ImgBurn. You can have DVD Shrink to "auto-burn" with Nero, DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn. However, you'll need to have them installed on your system in order to use "auto-burn" properly with any of them. The choice is yours.

[​IMG]

Since I have DVD Shrink to create an ISO image and put into my HD, I'll need to locate my Folder for the "Target" by using the "Browse" button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on DVD Region and make sure to make it "Region Free", under "Provider ID," put in anything you desire.

[​IMG]

Click on Burn Settings and under "Volume Label," type in the name of the movie on it.

[​IMG]

Click Quality Settings and tick on both "Deep Analysis + AEC + Max Smooth or Sharp". I highly recommend using this Quality option, DVD Shrink will take a little longer, but you'll be more happy with the result (backup). However, the choice is yours. When everything's set, click OK and DVD Shrink will start to transcode.

[​IMG]

DVD Shrink is Analysing and or progressing it's 1st phase.

[​IMG]

Now DVD Shrink is on it's 2nd phase, which is actually transcoding. Sit tight and relax, DVD Shrink should be done shortly (depends on your system).

[​IMG]

That's it... DVD Shrink has successfully transcoded and created an ISO image into my hard drive. Now it's ready for me to burn -- time to fire up ImgBurn.

[​IMG]

STEP 4: Burning the ISO image with ImgBurn (The Ultimate Image Burner from Lightning UK)

[​IMG]

Now insert a high quality media into your DVD burner.
    NOTE: I highly recommend Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Hitachi Maxell (Made In Japan)

Click on Mode, Write

[​IMG]

Use the "Folder icon" to navigate and locate the ISO image created by DVD Shrink from the hard drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Select the "ISO image" and click Open

[​IMG]

Under "Destination," use the Arrow to select your DVD burner. Make sure a high quality blank is ready inside.

[​IMG]

Use the Arrow and select your desire burning speed.

[​IMG]

Click on the Green Arrow to write or burn.

[​IMG]

Relax, now ImgBurn (The Ultimate Image Burner) is burning.

[​IMG]

Again, just sit tight. ImgBurn should be done shortly.

[​IMG]

And presto...!! ImgBurn has successfully burned your backup. Click OK and EXIT out.

[​IMG]

YES, ImgBurn has successfully "booktyped" my backup into DVD-ROM. Way to go ImgBurn!!!
    NOTE: In order for ImgBurn to change the "booktype" into DVD-ROM; (1) your drive must support Book Typing.
    (2) you must use DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD+R DL media.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it!!! Now you have successfully ripped, transcoded and backed up your DVD. Best of luck to all and happy burning.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

Again, great job alkohol your guides are the best.

peace

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Bigfatboy

Compliment accepted. I'm here doing my part (helping those noobs that needed helps and or interested). I hope this newly revised guide "DVDFAB Decrypter + VobBlanker" will make "dvd ripping" much easier for those that are interested and or were having issues in the past.

See you around.

4. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@Alkohol

I've been using the same software programs you use for the last 4 to 5 months and with nothing but sweet success. However I do have one TV/DVD combo in my home that has a problem with VOBBlanker and I don't know why. I would say 1 out of 3 movies it won't play. It is a cheapo my daughter got for Christmas.

I'm done rambling!!

Nice guide, people who don't want to pay for software this is the way to go. The only $$ program I have bought is Nero 6.

Strat

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@fatstrat

In addendum to your playback issue(s) with your DVD player, what kind of media (MID if possible)? and how fast did you burned them? To be honest with you, I don't think it's VobBlanker. VobBlanker has no effect/control over the playing process via stand alone DVD player(s). It (VobBlanker) simply fix/correct/removes any bad sectors, invalid structural, fake pgc or dummy cells only.

Try to use another high quality brand of media and burn it at no higher than 4X. If your confident enough and trust your burner, then you may burn at 8X. However, make sure your firmware is up-to-date as well. Firmware increase the burning performances and media compatibility. Even if my current rig (DRU 710A a rebadged SOHW 1633S) is capable of burning anything from 2X - 16X, I don't burn at max (16X) speed at all. My recommendation of burning speeds are anything from 4X - 8X only. I've done some experiment in the past burning at 16X using MCC004 "Verbatim DVD+R 16X" and I'm not satisfied with the results, more likely "quality scores".

My top 3 choices of media are: (1) Taiyo yuden. (2) Verbatim "Advanced Azo" and (3) Hitachi Maxell (Made In Japan). I use nothing else but these and I've never ever experienced any playback issues. Furthermore, I'm a DVD+R person -- that being said; I've always "book typed" all of my backups into DVD-ROM and so far they all played and still plays flawlessly on all of my DVD players (Samsung, Philips and Shinco). Even my 4 years old "All-Region Shinco" DVD player plays them beautifully.

Now-a-days, some DVD players are pretty picky, so it's "wise" to always "book type" into DVD-ROM if possible. Yes, DVD-ROM is the one and only "universal" DVD format to play in all functional DVD players. Again, if your dvd burner support "book typing", then it wise to go this route. The only main reason why I preffered to have Nero Burning Rom burn all of my backups is simply because of it (Nero Burning Rom) "automatically" change/book typed all of my backups into DVD-ROM whenever I used any DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL disc.

If you need more helps on how to set/auto set the "book type" settings via Nero Burning Rom, then let me know. Best of lucks to you and happy burning.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. nycdude

nycdude Member

Alkohol,

You are the man! I have to hand it to a memeber that does one of the sweetest looking and informative guides around.

Thanks for taking the time to help us all.

Ever come to NYC, take you for a round of beers. Cheers. :D

7. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@Alkohol
    I always use Verbatim Data Life 8X -R's. I burn at 4X. Again it works on all my player's 4 to be exact, but sometime's problem's with my daughter's TV/DVD combo.

When I burn movie only or entire disc useing recode 2, it works fine on my daughter's tv/DVD combo. But when I blank out crap, trailors, extra scenes I sometimes have trouble on her player.

Strat

8. snjjeff

snjjeff Member

Ok, I followed everything to the letter. I get to VobBlanker, and it looks like the main movie starts near the end. So, where is the other hour and fifteen minutes of the movie? If it helps, my initial file size is 7359 mb and my final file size is 3642. This is after DVDFab, and processing all. I haven't even taken any of the previews out yet. This thing is kicking my butt. I've tried burning it for the past three days. Any suggestions? I'm using DVDFab 2.9.6.2 and VobBlanker 2.1.0.0.

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Strat

I think there is a possibility that it's your daughter's TV/DVD combo player itself. Because I can have VobBlanker "cut & blank out" any parts/junks that I don't want and all of my backups works fine on all 3 of my DVD players.

Again, like I've mentioned, if your burner supported "book typing", then perhaps you can try to use some YUDEN or Verbatim DVD+R and change the book type into DVD-ROM to see if that'll solve the little problem.

Best of lucks to you and happy burning!

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@snjjeff

If your "final size is 3642", then there is definitely something wrong somewhere on the way, either when you're ripping or processing the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

I strongly deem that you didn't followed everything according to my "tools and procedures". You stated that you used "DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.6.2" and my guide mentioned/provided the link to get the latest, which is DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.7.6 -- and according to my knowledge anything from 2.9.6.8 and beyond can rip nearly 99.99% of new released flawlessly.

**NOTE: Another good rule of thumb is to TURN OFF DVD43, AnyDVD or other cracking engines that's running in the background while you're "ripping" the movie with DVDFAB Decrypter and when you're "processing" the VIDEO_TS.IFO file through VobBlanker. Fact is... DVDFAB Decrypter is already one of the best FREE ripper at the moment.

Good luck and let me know how's your new result.

11. ThaOne

ThaOne Member

Hello did anyone try using just Fab and Shrink without anydvd or VobBlanker worked fine for me burned with decrypter no problems

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  12. okayl

okayl Guest

hey, man i just did all that stuff with the wrong version of dvdfabdecrypter no wonder it didnt work...now i have to do it all over again, thanks for clearing up the confusion, i knew it dvdfab wouldnt let us down! nice guide once again alkohol.

13. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

It's nice to know someone is out there with all that knowlegde and is willing to share it! My hats off to you my friend (alkohol)!

I was also lucky enough to be able to only have to use DvdFab and Shrink with Hostel. I don't even know where to get VobBlanker at.

Anyone?

Allen

14. jer454

jer454 Guest

Thanks so much for the great guide.
    Don't think I have found one so idiot proof yet. Perfect walk thru. I used DVD shrink and decrypter to burn, no problem.
    I supose this is the new extra step that is needed to backup newer movies?
    This software obviously works, but, is there other free stuff out there that works as good?

Thanks again Alkohol,

Jer

15. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@Fleezbyte

Go here for VOB Blanker.

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/index.htm

@Alkohol
    I'm going to try some +R's for my daughter's TV/DVD next time. My burner does book type, thanks for the suggestion, I'll will try it. I use to use +r's with all of my backup PS2 games and Dvd backups until I ran into problems with an older player we had in our family room. So I started useing -R's and they worked fine.

Strat

16. snjjeff

snjjeff Member

Ok, I used 2.9.7.? and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

17. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@snjjeff

Glad I could help, now enjoy your backup to the fullest. Best of lucks to you and happy burning.

18. ulysses19

ulysses19 Guest

hey guys, thanks for all the input... i followed all the instructions, but when i open the vobblanker file with shrink, shrink won't compress it. it says its on 99% compression but still the file is over 6gigs?

anyone run into this problem?

19. bobr792

bobr792 Member

Ok, I see a ton of Hostel threads and I am having a problem too. However, I can backup Hostel(Widescreen /Unrated) but when it is being played it skips and then finally freezes in about the 5th chapter and it is the same issue on a couple of players I have tried. I am using Verbatim lightscribe +R, burned at max speed 8x, I believe.

I have tried a few ways.

1. DVD Fab (Updated 2 days ago), DVD Shrink w/Nero Burn
    2. DVD Fab (Updated 2 days ago), DVD Shrink w/DVD Decrypter Burn

Then the same 2 ways listed above but between DVD Fab & DVD Shrink, I used VobBlanker, following Alkohol's guide, might I add, is a really nice & easy guide to follow(thanks)!

Anybody having this sort of problem and if so, how did you get it to work?

Also, I read that some people believe the source disk is bad, I have not ever had that issue, but I am willing to go back to the store I bought the disk at and exchange for another one, if you guys believe that could be the case?!?!

20. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@jer454

If you followed everything "exactly" as stated/mentioned in my guide, then I GUARANTEE YOU 100% that you'll be able to "successfully" rip and backup any dvds/movies. VobBlanker is very powerful and useful at the same time. Yes... even the famouse AnyDVD is using FixVTS or another crap processing engine that's very identical to FixVTS and VobBlanker.

The reason why VobBlanker is/was used is: (A) to fix/correct any left over structural, fake cells/pgcs. (B) to "blank" out any unwanted junks (i.e. FBI Warnings, previews/trailers, extras/director's commentary, etc.) I highly recommend using VobBlanker to process any of your already ripped "VIDEO_TS.IFO" just to be on the safe side -- afterall, VobBlanker only take like 5 minutes to process. I can wait the extra 5 minutes, however, the choice is yours.

Let me know how things going. Best of lucks to you and happy burning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.