1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New fan for the Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by shawnzee, Jun 5, 2004.

1. shawnzee

shawnzee Guest

I am upgrading my hard drive but I heard that if you put in a hard drive thats too big that the hard drive will blow up so i need to install a fan in my xbox but I only have a 40 gigabyte hard drive do I still need a fan.

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

its not what size your HDD is but the RPM, if its 5400 rpm you dont need to do anything, if its 7200 you can do a simple fan mod

12v fan mod
    Tool needed:
    -Torx t20 Screwdriver.
    -Torx t10 Screwdriver. (To open the Xbox case and unscrew a screw on the mobo.)

Instructions:
    -Unplug power cord.
    -Take out HDD + DVD drive.
    -Unclip the stock fan using a screwdriver. Take a look at the fan’s plug. Use a needle to pinch out the black wire.
    -Ground the black wire under a screw on the mobo. as shown.

-Leave the red wire the way it is though. (You see the red wire’s always plugged in.)

3. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

Yo do not need a new fan or need to do the fan modd.

My xbox runs perfectly fine with a 200 gig wd hdd at 7200 rpm. No extra fans or fan mods at all.

The temp is the same as it was with the original xbox hdd for me.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

yea, i haven't heard any overheating issues with anyone i've tt that have 7200rpm hds and 100+ GB...

5. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

icarbutt is right, its better to do a fan mod
    I also cut the plastic tray at the back (the tray that seats the hdd) about an inch deep, and the full width, as the problem with the fan, is so much flow is blocked because of the tray

6. BoxMods

BoxMods Regular member

You must cut the stock fan clips off and install a 80mm case fan. You'll also need to cut some plastic off of the rear right leg of the DVD tray and grind out the area where the WARNING sign is on the HDD tray.
    Taking out the metal shielding off the under side of the xbox cover will also help.