1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new guy here confused about divx and xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by scholes84, Apr 11, 2007.

1. scholes84

scholes84 Member

hi everyone, i have a samsung dvd-vcr combo which plays divx as well. I have a movie which is divx 3.11 video and works fine on the dvd-vcr combo, good picture quality and starts right away. I have another movie which is xvid and i've converted it to divx with the latest divx converter software and it doesnt work, i've also tried it as a xvid without conversion which in the maual it says it suppports, no luck here too. If its only going to work with 3.11 what must i do???
    Please help, much appreciated.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

you do not say what model number your combo is. I should think it would support up to DivX 5 at least. That also covers DivX 6 if the movie was encoded with standard settings.

There is a DivX feature called Packed Bitstream which very few standalone DivX DVD players will support, and some others such as Qpel.

It may be that when you converted from Xvid to DivX, some non standard feature got carried over which needs to be cancelled for the movie to work.

I suggest you download a free tool called GSpot which you can use to get information like this about AVIs and also mpegs etc. You could post the results on here and maybe we could give you some tips to help you watch the movie.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  3. attar

attar Senior member

My DIVX player won't touch anything encoded with H.264
    I download avi files and burn them without thinking.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

What aboout tring to change AVI's FourCC code with Nic's FourCC changer (AviC.exe, file which is included in distrubution XviD's package)?
    Changing XVID to DIVX made my obsolete DVD reader read aven last XVID AVI movies.

(About conversion, dunno. It should work, but there are hundred reasons a unexperienced user might create a non-working AVI file.)