1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy Problem With Nero & My Sony DW-U14A drive

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by JohnnyB69, Dec 5, 2004.

1. JohnnyB69

JohnnyB69 Member

Greetings all,

I hope this is the correct place for this. I looked at the various forum names, and this one seemed to make sense. If not, please advise, and I'll repost.

I have a Sony DW-U14A dvd/rw drive and it works fine for viewing dvd's. I bought some dvd+r discs to use for backing up the assorted crap on my hard drives, as it's getting to be a pig sty....

Well, tonight I tried to burn a disc using Nero, and it tossed an error at me. "Power calibration Error"

Needless to say, I was annoyed....

Can anyone here please explain to a dope like me what this means, and how I can go about fixing this problem ? I'm FAR from a computer noob, but have never done squat with anything in dvd format.

I've searched google and found some hits, but not much of it made a whole lot of sense to me....

If some kind soul could help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it very much. I saved the Nero error log, and can post it if necessary, though I looked it over and it doesn't seem to tell much.

Anyways, Thanks in advance for any help offered. Looks like I'm gonna need it....

JB

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

more than likely bad media

trying a different brand would be a good place to start

what kind of discs are you using?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  3. JohnnyB69

JohnnyB69 Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Using some 'generic' dvd -r discs that I ordered when I bought the drive. I wondered if it may be the cause, but as I said, I know squat about dvd's other than watching em, haha...

Are there any particular brands that are known to be crap ? It rather annoys me to think these might be useless now....

JB

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Here's where you can go for a list of media. there are 4 groups. Don't buy out of the 3rd or 4th.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You can find out who made your media with this little download, as it will identify the mfgr:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Most of your best media can only be purchased online, and newegg is a good source (below). I personally like the Ritek and Ridata brands. Even these guys put out faulty media, so I use the data verification option with Nero when I burn.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-132-367&DEPA=0

5. JohnnyB69

JohnnyB69 Member

Thanks,

Sorry for not replying sooner, Stupid here forgot where I saved the link.....

I'll take a look and see who made them, and report back, probably later today.

Thanks for the help so far, Much appreciated

JB

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  6. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Hi
    I had all the problems anyone could have with Nero O use and internal pioneer 108 in an enclosure and had your error message and of course SCSi Command error.
    I blew ££££'s on disks until I bought NTI which is so robust it works with actually anything.
    Give it a go

7. JohnnyB69

JohnnyB69 Member

Thanks,

Again, sorry for the slow reply.... Life and all that crap :)

Is NTI a regular "brand" ? or something I'd need to order ?

JB

8. kchev

kchev Regular member