1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hard Drive Size Not Accurate

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by baddassb, Oct 23, 2018.

1. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Greetings,

I had a failed hard drive that I could not recover or image and had to reinstall a new hard drive. My old drive was 2TB and the new 4TB. I installed the new drive, but used my HP recovery disks. When looking at the drive capacity, it shows OS (C): 1.55 TB free of 1.62 TB; HP_RECOVERY (D): 1.36 GB of 11.1 GB.

Any ideas why this is so and how I can correct this without having to redo the OS and/or reinstall my newly installed programs.

Thank you in advance.

:)

2. aldan

aldan Active member

no other partitions?it looks like it is showing as your old 2tb drive.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Web search this
    4tb hard drive only showing as 2tb or some other similar wording

Your computer is old is why your having issues as it's like mine as it cant see past 2tb due to mbr restriction much like fat32 etc. You will most likely not be able to boot from that disc even if you were able to install the OS..Your work around is get another 2tb & use the 4tb as a slave.However you will require the tool that lets the pc see more than just a 2tb (requires an installed os to run it) partition..You will then be able to format two partitions.The first will be 2tb the second will be the rest of what's left. This works for all hdd's above 2tb including 10tb..If your hdd is a seagate find
    Seagate extended capacity manager

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The system’s base firmware interface has to be able to use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), meaning your system must be UEFI-capable (not bios). So the question is how old is your computer? Check it to see if ti is UEFI capable and if it is then that's where you go looking for a resolution. Another possible work around might be to partition the hard drive and assign a different drive letter to each partition. More system information would be helpful.