1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new hd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by MRSIRCOOK, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

just got my xbox, modded, now i wanna add a new hd to it, can some point me in the right direction, example, does maxtor or western digital go best with them, is it as simple as in computers where i just unplug the ide cable, and hook one back up....if thats the case how do i format it afterwards...send me a url a, passage to read or something to start...holla back

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

If you want the easy way,just get yourself an autoloader like firefuckers or slayers. Then just take out your original hdd and slide in the new one (switch jumpers to master if they aren't already). Once the new hdd is in place,put the disk in and turn off the machine. Turn on the machine now and it should boot to the disk,if you can make sure the disk is on a media that your dvd drive will read. Or just burn it to a dvd to make sure. Now the machine should be booted up to the disk's menu,where you will just do an 'all in one' format and install. This will take all of 2-4 minutes. Once this is done you turn off the machine and turn it on without the disk in and it should boot to evox or whatever dash you selected. If it doesn't or if it goes to the error 13 or 16 or even back to the MS dash,you will have to boot to the disk again and go into the C drive (or F if you did a stealth install) and rename the xboxdash.xbe file and evoxdash.xbe file and thiongs of that nature. Just make sure that the xbox boots to the dash that you installed. Once this is done change your network setting s and start tweeking out your new hard drive with what you want in it. A tip for ya is to get the xbox gamesave manager and transfer your gamesaves to your pc before you swap hdd's,this way once you have the new one in all you have to do is conect to your xbox and transfer your gamesaves back into the new hard drive. Alot easier than the memory card method.

3. forsberg9

forsberg9 Member

you're not supposed to switch the hdd's out when the xbox is on right? would that fusk it up??

4. cmoore

cmoore Member

hey punquewe, what do you mean by "(switch jumpers to master if they aren't already).". what are jumpers and how do you switch them.

5. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

OMG jumpers are tiny things on the hard drive where the IDE cable plugs in. there should be a picture on the harddrive somewhere telling you what the master jumper and spare jumper is. if you have more then one hard drive the primary one must be in masters and the secondary one in spare. if there is onyl one i think it should be in masters also but i use mine in spare. i dont think it really maters. but any ways if you dont know all that you shouldnt be fusking around with the hard drive any ways if you dont want it to get fucked up.

6. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

and no you shouldnt switch the harddrives while the xbox is on. it could cause it to loose any data that was unsafe and yes it can fusk the hard drive up also.

7. modster

modster Regular member

pacman33,

please this is a place where people come and learn. I was once there myself knowing nothing. But yet people helped me to understand, and now I do the same for people even if the questions are trivial just like I have answered some of your questions here in this forum.

As for the hard drive question. The jumper should be in cable select position. Most hard drive will have this jumper description on the hard drive.
    And you should definitely not switch the hard drive while the xbox is on. Bad idea.

hopes this help

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. forsberg9

forsberg9 Member

Thank you sir.

9. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

Yeah, sorry i acted like that man.
    pacman33

10. mod155

mod155 Member

i have a question. Exactly how big is an original harddrive in the x box?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  11. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

it depends on the HDD, some have 8gig some have 10gig