1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HDD for my PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by biggzi, Oct 23, 2007.

1. biggzi

biggzi Member

I want to buy a new harddrive for my PS3, and im looking for either 160 GB or 250 GB, but am I right in understanding that if I get a larger HDD it will need better specifications. I know that the stock HDD in the PS3 has a rotation speed of 5400 rpm, so will i need a higher spin speed or will the same spin speed deliver the same performance on an even larger HDD. Also, can anyone give me any info on the cache, because I don't really understand what that means. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I don't remember where I read it but a series of tests were run to test the theory of speed on the ps3 hdd. Two different speeds were tested and the difference was not noticible.

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

The difference IS negligible, which is why when I upgraded to 120 gb, I stayed at 5400 rpm. Actually, I recall reading that if it was faster, it'd lead to more problems. Regardless, with the 120 gb HDD, I've had no problems with my PS3 (uploading, downloading, playing, saving etc.) and I haven't looked back.

It was an f'n steal too. I think I paid 85 shipped for my Seagate HDD. Gotta love newegg.

4. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

As for the study done on the diffrence on hard drive speeds overall the 7400rpm speeded it up like 3 tenths of a second on most categorys and on startup it improved it by little over a second. As for what Mr_Pink said about them causing troble id be interested if you illaborated on that.

5. biggzi

biggzi Member

6. Navar

Navar Member