1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here, trouble playing burned DVD+ RW on home player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dan_61, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

Hello

I am new here today, i searched the forums for a a solution to this issue ,ididnt see a search bar.
    If someone can tell/show how to browse threads for topics i will in the future.
    The issue i am having is my burned DVD+RW will not play on home DVD players.

Thank you

Dan

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

There is a search bar function just below the Home, News, etc. tabs at the top of any page.

Not all DVD players can handle RW disks. Check your owner's manual to see what format(s) yours can handle. Alternately, check online for a review of your model to find out compatible format(s), ie. +/-R, +/-RW, CD, etc.

3. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

+1 on what was said above. Also.
    Had the sme thing on my RCAs. I have to burn at 1x speed and they play perfectly. Anything higher and they will not play on either of my RCA players and one is a DVR. Just a thought. Try one at 1x and see if it works.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  4. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

Thanks RM

What burn software are you using i am using Roxio

Dan

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've never had to burn at such a low speed. I suspect the RW plays on the DVD drive. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just assuming you would have mentioned it if it didn't. If the PC plays the RW and your standalone player doesn't, that pretty much indicates the standalone doesn't support the RW format. I've got a few players, but I had to buy a new one to have a player that supports RW. I picked up an inexpensive Philips to do the job.

6. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

That makes complete sense Pacman , the one i have isnt that old tho but it is a cheapie
    Dan

7. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

"What burn software are you using"

I have Roxio, but use it mainly for Music. I have Nero, but rarely use it. ImgBurn works GREAT for Movies; highly recommended.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've found burner software to be more a matter of preference than one being particularly better than the others. I'll qualify that with saying some may be better than others for DL. I've burned with Nero 7 and ImgBurn and the DLs came out good with both. I've used most of the available burner programs with good results. For ease of setting up a DL burn, I most often go with ImgBurn. For all my other needs I usually let Nero handle it.

Dan,
    My Philips is something of a cheapie, around $70. It supports about anything round including RW, MP3, VCD, SVCD, and DivX.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  9. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

I will have to take a trip to Walmart, is there a free nero out there, i have tried Imgburn, seems to be alot of extra steps, i wonder if i burn with -RW if + doesnt work

Dan

10. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

I am using clonedvd2 and sometimes Nero. I do not know why I have to use single speed but I can tell you I went out and bought a NEW RCA DVD player at Christmas and it would NOT play anything recorded higher than 1x. I tried several different disks and formats. I think it is something to do with RCA and their trying to block copied disks. I called them and they ask me to return my DVR DVD player/recorder and they would update it. It is 5 years old. I can understand it not playing higher than a 1x but what about a brand new player. It really has me puzzled. I took the RCA back and got a Sony and I have no problems with it even playing a disk recorded up to a 16x speed. Just my experience. Have a great one.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm not doubting your word at all. I'm just saying it is the only case where I've heard of such a low burn speed being needed. I've been recording and around forums some time now and that's the first time I've heard of anyone having to burn at 1X. I'm not saying someone else won't need to, just that it isn't likely according to the odds.

@Dan_61
    I think the Nero trial doesn't have a limit. Other than that there are some OEM versions of Shrink that come with hardware, but they usually don't have some of the good programs like Recode and Nero Vision.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  12. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

I honestly was not thinking you were doubting my word. No harm no foul. Just wanted to let you know what I had happen to me. Sometimes you just have to look at several angles to get to the final result.

13. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

Hi

I downloaded a trial Nero 7, what a bad expercience, soooooooo slow,i will give it a try.

Are these threads closed or left open

Dan

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Left open.

Nero is a large suite of programs, so it does take long download times with some connections. I sometimes forget due to being on DSL for a while.

15. Dan_61

Dan_61 Regular member

I am on DSL, what part of the world are you in Pacman

Dan

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Eastern US. On Ma Bell's high speed DSL the Nero download is just a few minutes. (10 or so.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007