1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New home theater receiver

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by dedge7181, Jul 3, 2007.

1. dedge7181

dedge7181 Member

Just today, my Onkyo TX-SR600 is giving me a problem that I need to take to a repair shop and have it looked at. For some reason when I was playing my music through my system, my one polk audio floor standing speaker made this electrical hum. It was somewhat loud. Then my receiver just went into protection mode. I tried to turn it back on and turn the volume down, but it just went right into protect and kept shutting off. I even disconnected EVERYTHING from it and left it unplugged for the wall for an hour and came back to test it but still got the same problem.

This unit is 5 years old. Before I invest in having it repaired, I was looking at other receivers that I may want to invest in. I love Onkyo and want to stay with them, but could be persuaded depending on price and functionality. I was actually looking at Onkyo and Denon. I like the Denon AVR 787 and the Onkyo TX-SR605.

I need a recommendation on a new receiver for my home theater setup.
    I have:
    46" Toshiba HDTV Model # 46H84
    Samsung DVD Player Model # HD841
    Direct Tv HD DVR Box Model # HR10-250
    2 - Polk Audio Floorstanding R40's
    Polk Audio Subwoofer and 6.1 Surround speakers.
    Xbox 360 Premium (Component) and streaming Tversity to it from pc upstairs.

Thats it. It is pretty simple, but I would like something that would take full advantage of the setup that I currently have. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR605, price was right, but I didnt want to pull the trigger before I brought this before a professional audience to get a professional recommendation.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Dan

2. JVC

JVC Active member

If you like Onkyo, and are comfortable with how it sets up and runs, you should stick with it. Denon is great equipment, if you're just wanting to get something entirely different.
    Good luck!

3. dedge7181

dedge7181 Member

I do like the Onkyo's, but I never really liked how the speaker wire attached on the unit. I always had a problem with the connections because the unit would go into protection mode sometimes when I pushed the volume.

I like the Denon AVR787 and the AVR 1907. I also like the Onkyo 575 and 605, but I can't make a decision. What I like about the Denon's are that they are Multi Room capable and that is a plus because we have always wanted that capability. On the other hand, the Onkyo 605 can do multi-room but it is a little pricey. I am looking to spend around $400 for the amp. The Onkyo 575 and 605 have HDMI capabilities but the Denon's only have Component and Optical/Coaxial audio. I only have one HDMI device and that is the dvd player. Everything else is component.

I was just hoping for a suggestion on which one to get and if one is superior to the other. I guess I need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks for your post!

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I'm not familiar enough with Onkyos, to comment on them.
    I am familiar with some Denons. While they are very good equipment, their remotes can be a nightmare. Their customer service also isn't the best. Denon also has their own language, they use. Example: Others use the term Multi-Channel, for the 5.1 analog inputs (for dvd-a, sacd, and the new HD audio formats), and Denon calls this "EXT. IN". There are others too, but can't think of an example right now. Can get very confusing, if you're used to the "normal" language of HT receivers.

Most of the time, a receiver goes into "Protect" mode, because a speaker wire is touching something it shouldn't. A single stand of the wire, may get pushed to the side, when inserting it into the connection post. But it sounds like your old receiver had an internal problem, of some kind.

Protect mode can also be caused by trying to drive 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver. The 4 ohm speakers will put an extreme load on the receiver, and when played at loud volumes, will cause the receiver to run extra hot. It goes into Protect mode, and shuts down, to keep from frying something in the receiver.

As I said before.........since you're more familiar with Onkyo, and how they setup, I'd stick with them.
    Good luck!

BTW...........
    You might want to use some banana clips, on your speaker wires, since you don't like the way the wires attach to the receiver. It will make connecting the wires, to the receiver, much easier. I like and use the AR (Acoustic Research) brand banana clips, because no soldering is involved. There is a small screw on the side, to tighten the clip to the wire. You can get them at Best Buy or Circuit City........

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007