1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Kid on the Block :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jenny8675, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Jenny8675

Jenny8675 Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and DVD burning, so please forgive me if I ask something dumb. :) Well, my boyfriend was in the process of upgrading my computer with a DVD burner, but we broke up so now I am stuck trying to learn this on my own....so I figured I would turn to you guys first. Here I go...

I am pretty sure I have an NEC 3500 (at least that is what the packing slip says) and he upgraded some software on the DVD burner to C28 (or 2C8) or something like that. It was the newest stuff he told me. Also, I am using DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero Ultra 6.3.1.10. I tired to burn a DVD last night and it took an hour and 10 minutes to rip and encode (i mean until I needed to put in a blank DVD). Also, it took 16 minutes to burn the DVD.

Here are my questions:

1) Is that normal for a DVD to take that long to rip?
    2) Is there anything I can do to speed it up? (I have Deep analysis checked, if that matters)?
    3) What are the optimal settings for DVD Shrink & Nero Ultra when my goal is quality first, speed second?
    4) What specific 8X media should I buy? My boyfriend used DVD-R, but I am not sure why. Also, I use newegg.com, so anything you call tell me to look up that specific media on newegg, would be great.
    5) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help. I am feeling better now :)

Jen

2. fugazi73

fugazi73 Member

Welcome, Jen.

Okay here it goes .. :)

1) Is that normal for a DVD to take that long to rip?

This is dependant upon your PCs guts (so to speak) -- Per you comments, it sounds like it's the latest & greatest.. Onto number 2 ..

2) Is there anything I can do to speed it up? (I have Deep analysis checked, if that matters)?

I don't typically check Deep analysis this could be a major reason as to why it's taking so long (this could take another 45-50 minutes). The back-ups I've performed -- without Deep analysis checked -- are fine to my eye .. others may differ on this .. Usually takes me about 20-25 minutes to rip/encode ..

3) What are the optimal settings for DVD Shrink & Nero Ultra when my goal is quality first, speed second?

From my experience the default settings work just fine for myself.

4) What specific 8X media should I buy?

This is a long term debate .. but, DVD-R is compatible in about 90-95% of all DVD players. Here's some reading material that touches base on the different kinds of media (good and the bad media .. some are just crap) ..

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I use ProDisc DVD-R 4x (I found burning at a slower rate will produce better quality compared to 8x or above). You can find good deals on these at;

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmedia.html

Again, others my differ, but I've never experienced a bad burn with ProDisc.

5) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Have fun! Sorry about your b/f .. :) Have a good one .. Hope this helps ..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how fast is your processor, how much ram & harddrive space do you have

4. Jenny8675

Jenny8675 Member

Thanks for your help, guys. I have a P4 1.8 GHz, 512RAM and 120 GBHD.

Thx,
    Jen :)

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If you let me be your boyfriend I will come round & show you what to do!!LOL:) I'm not that ugly...honest!

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You need to upgrade to nero 6.3.1.25, I think! Your shrink should recognise that you have nero, if not, enable it in shrinks' properties. 16 mins is not too bad.