1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Laptop, Sluggish On Startup

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by fastkart8, Feb 26, 2007.

1. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Hey guys I have a question and maybe you can help.

I bought a new laptop this weekend from bestbuy. I have noticed that this thing is considerably slow when I boot it up. I called the best buy folks and they said that the manufactor puts "alot of stuff" up here on startup which can make the pc sluggish.

Is there a way that I can post to you guys what is starting up when the pc is turned on. Maybe you can tell me what I can turn off?

By the way, its an HP. Gig of ram, Intel 2 Core Processor. If that helps..

Thanks so much.

2. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Also, one more thing. I am using about 540mb of ram when idle. But on my desktop it only is using 212. Why is this, and how can i minmize it?

3. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

anyone??

4. loveya

loveya Guest

This problem has a really simple answer. All you really need to do is simply uninstall some of the crap that the Makers loaded to your computer. Aol? iTunes? Norton? Or you could go get software such as TuneUp Utilities that allows you to disable some of the auto start programs. Those are programs that automaticly start when you turn your computer on (many of which are useless). And that's why is soooooo slow. Try it...It should start up pretty fast if you disable all the unnessesary programs.
    If you need anything else feel free to ask. Or PM me if you like ^.^

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

you want to make sure that you don't turn off anything that has anything to do with windows,

6. loveya

loveya Guest

I think it'll be safe to turn all off because it's only non-system realated programs that shows up in TuneUp. It will turn on if you use the prog but if you don't then it'll stay off making your computer faster.

7. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

yeah i have done that with msconfig. i have turned off alot of bs that comes on at startup. its kinda funny though because the guy at bestbuy says vista is a hog..which i know it is. but my home computer has half the ram and still is faster. and it idles alot less too..but thanks alot

8. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

oh yeah one more ? is there a list of things i need to keep on. that program you recommended isnt compatable with vista