1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laser, but tired already

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Meneldur, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Meneldur

Meneldur Member

I've posted a thread a few days ago about my PStwo laser reading only CDs, and good people halped me with that. A new laser was installed in my system.
    The PStwo worked flawlessly for a week, and now it's getting on my nerves (again). A few backups play almost perfectly. Others simply don't start, or give a RSOD. I've noted that Verbatim (MCC02RG20) discs are slow to load, and videos flicker or hung for a second. But Imation (FUJIFILM03) discs directly are not seen by the laser.
    My question is: WHAT NOW?
    Should I turn the pot slightly to make the laser read DVDs better, at least the Verbatims?
    Could this be a modchip problem?
    SHould I make another fix?
    Should I throw this Slim PStwo against the wall?

2. kevcal

kevcal Member

I'd throw it against the wall!

PS2 lasers are crap and don't seem to like copied media; in fact Sony designers must be awful to allow this state of affairs to occur. My 17 quid dvd player's laser doesn't burn out!! (I huess they made them weak on purpose).

Anyway, more seriously - I take it you don't have a wide laser? (SPU3170)
    If you have, you could try replacing the whole assembly with the PVR-802 - it's supposed to be better... (note - not just the laser, but the whole assembly).
    I replaced mine like this and so far so good... but that was only a week ago.. so will probably have the same problem as you soon..

Anyway, the laser has 2 diodes feeding it apparently - one for CDs aned one for DVDs - this is what dies on mine - could read CDs but not DVDs..

You may also want to install the comsoft slimfix and/or resistors; the resistors in fact just stop you from reading bad or scratched media (allegedly).

Kev

3. Meneldur

Meneldur Member

Thanks for your reply.
    But, I've just bought the new laser ten days ago!! I can not buy another one, plus I live in Argentina, where this kind of parts are scarce.
    What I bought is the laser unit only, without the metal frame and disc spindle. In fact, I see that this laser is behaving like the fried one a year ago: it shows signs of weakness. When I turned the pots a little, it worked flawlessly, until it kaputted. I think I should do the same with this new unit.
    I agree with you. I see the PS2 is somewhat crappy in its design. Engineers have put little effort in making a multi-purpose robust console, but try to think mainly in pirated copies and keeping curious users from unscrewing the unit. That's shit. I'd prefer the XBOX line, where you have lots of emulators, good chips, robust hardware and many mod possiblities.
    Despite many hours of fun with some titles, I feel dissapointed with my PStwo.

4. kevcal

kevcal Member

Unfortunately I think tweaking the laser will probably make it work for a short while, but it will die even quicker..
    Trick is to stick with 'good' media apparently: Verbatim are one that you can depend on. The cheaper media (reflective properties?) mean the laser has to be ramped up to read - so shortening the life.
    Although 10 days for a laser is a joke - the xbox doesn't have these problems; okay all lasers die, but you should expect a year or two from them.
    Buying parts.. is ebay an option? You'll find many available on there.
    As I said, if you have the wide laser - it will die - does it look like this (WIDE LASER)
    https://www.ps2repairs.co.uk/catalog/images/pstwo_laser.jpg

or like this
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50771901/PS2_Laser_Lens__pvr_802w_.jpg

The second is the better one; note you have to replace the whole assembly - not just the laser.

Note that at the moment I don't actually know how long the 802 laser will last; I have just heard it's more resilient to backups.

Kev

5. Meneldur

Meneldur Member

My new laser looks like the second image, http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50771901/PS2_Laser_Lens__pvr_802w_.jpg
    So, it should be the better one.
    I know jiggling the pots stresses the laser more, and thus reduces its lifespan, but my new laser stopped reading even Verbatim MCC02 media (the good one). So I took some courage and did it: I turned the DVD pot less than 1/8th of a turn, and now it reads both Verbatim and Imation (FUJIFILM) media.
    As shown by this two KProbe tests I did, I confirmed that Verbatim-MCC02 is far better than Imation-FUJIFILM03.
    So, I'll stick with Verbatim media, and I'll pray for this laser to last at least one whole year, enough to save some money and emigrate to an XBOX360.

6. kevcal

kevcal Member

Well let's hope so - I know there are new lasers out there (ps2-scene information source) but I think only for 'old' ps2s.
    I'm sticking with verbatim for dvd-r and we'll see how it goes.
    Good luck :) Hopefully mine will last as well.

Kev