1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Laser on V9 - now disc contacts tray

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JRoland, Jan 11, 2005.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a version9 PS2 off of eBay which was listed as having a Disc Read Error. After trying the general "cog" adjustment so many recommend, I finally bought a new laser from www.RichsPSXParts.com - highly recommend btw. Anyway, I successfully installed the laser last evening. However, I noticed that if I spin a disk, it "scraps" the plastic disc tray.

I successfully played a DVD last night using my new laser - but the noise of the plastic-on-disk contact was horrific. I obviously used a DVD I didn't care about as a test disc, but, to my surprise, there wasn't a single scratch on the disk.

Still, before putting in a real PS2 disk, i.e. a $50 disc, I would like to see if/how I can raise the spinner so that the disc would be free to spin like normal.

If anyone can help, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

when you replace the laser you do not touch the spindle so there is no reason for this to be too low.

Have you messed with the raising lowering mechanism? did you remove the whole DVD drive to replace the laser? If you did you may have put it in incorrectly. there is no need to remove the drive to replace the laser it can be done like open heart surgery lol!

when the tray opens the whole laser assembly lowers to allow the tray to move past it. the only thing i can think of is that you have messed this up and it is not raising fully. take it all apart and see if this is the case.