1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New LG writer doesn't recognize discs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by star81, May 23, 2009.

1. star81

star81 Member

I was having problems with my previous writer because it wouldn't recognize DVD-RWs. So today I bought a new LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter, model GH22 and installed it into my PC. I put in the installation disc that came with the writer, but it wouldn't autorun. The light on the writer would flash for a few seconds and then it just stops. The writer doesn't show up on my computer, but maybe that's because I haven't installed the drivers yet. So I tried putting the disc into my old writer, but it still won't read the disc.

I also installed a new video card today, but haven't been able to install the drivers for it yet because I need to put the disc in for it to work. Could that be a reason why the writer doesn't recognize any discs?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Presumably the power was off when the burner was installed and on boot-up the drive should have been recognized automatically.

Boot into the bios screen and see if the drive is listed.

If not, recheck the connections to the drive and any switch settings.

3. star81

star81 Member

Which heading should it be under in the BIOS? Because I didn't see it listed. I made sure the power and IDE connectors were connected properly. There's an extra connector, should I connect that one as well?

Also I installed a new video card the same day I installed the writer and I haven't been able to install the drivers for the video card yet. Could that be the reason for this problem?

4. attar

attar Senior member

In my case it's listed under the 'Main' tab.
    I assume that the burner is connected to the Secondary IDE as a Master (or connected the same as the old with the same switch settings).
    If you can put the old burner back and it is recognized, then I assume that the new one is defective.
    I doubt the video card is the problem, but put the old card back and see if it makes a difference.

Edit:If the drive is listed on the BIOS, boot up, and go into the Device Manager (My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Expand DVD/CD-Rom Drives) and see if the drive is X'ed out.
    If so , right click and enable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. star81

star81 Member

The old writer wasn't recognizing anything either, so I switched the connectors between the old and new one and my new writer works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help!