1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MacBook Pro . . When??

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by knok, Apr 25, 2007.

1. knok

knok Guest

Hi everyone ..
    i really would like to know when i can buy the new model of MacBook Pro .. i really need it but i don't want buy something old ..so i'm still waiting .. because i know that the last model of MacBook Pro has some problems especially because is the first with intel processor..

So now my question is .. do u think the new model is updates soon??
    and will it be better?? or it will be slow as usuall ..

I know this kind of questions is bit difficult answer .. but you guys know better than "Copertino" ..

Thank you in advance for reply.

(i always read your topics)

2. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

If you can wait, wait till October 2007, that's when they release the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which will come pre-installed on every Mac.
    If you CANNOT wait, buy the macbook pro now that is shipped w/ the Mac Tiger OS X 10.4. The upgraded version Mac OSX 10.5 will cost around $99 I believe and $199 for the full version.
    I'm not sure what kind of updates you're talking about, drivers? firmwares? I'm sure Apple updates that every now and then so I shouldn't b standing around waiting for it. AFter all, Macbook pro is a computer and a computer will ALWAYS have errors.

3. knok

knok Guest

Hey Thanks for replay .. i think i'm gonna wait the new Macbook Pro without Leopard ( i can upgrade it later) . .
    don't you know when the New Macbook Pro is coming??
    Thanks

4. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

I assume you mean new Macbook pro as in the current line model of Macbook pro but shipped w/ new Leopard, that's is going to happen when Leopard comes out. If you mean new Macbook pro as in a completely re-designed macbook w/ different processor n design, no i don't know.

5. Karma50

Karma50 Member

No he means: When are they going to release a new model of MacBook Pro. The current model has been out for a while and if you buy one a new one could come out tomorrow since they do not announce it until they are in Apple Stores.

This is a big dilemma for any computer or tech purchase. A good website for estimating Mac releases is: The MacRumors Buyers Guide, they estimate new product releases based on how long the particular product has been out and previous lifespans of the product, along with other rumors that are circulating. They currently have a "Don't Buy Now: Produt Release Soon" rating on the MacBook Pros.

You also should just keep an eye on the rumor sites. Apple hates them, and they are not always right but they can be very helpful for decisions like this.

6. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Technology will always change, why wait? Right now if you don't currently own a Mac, u have absolutely no idea what are you missing out. It does everything you want with a few clicks, it's ridiculous, you should buy it now. And did I mention the Core 2 Duo macbook runs 40 degree F cooler than their previous model, really worth buying.
    And all that crap about the battery problem and battery door melting, they fixed it all in the current line of macbook pro, so yeah u can rest assured u won't get a "big" piece of junk home.

7. Karma50

Karma50 Member

Yeah, I hear you. Anytime you buy a computer (or other high technology devices) there will always be something new around the corner. But for my purposes (as I am sure others) this is especially true for the current MacBook Pros.

It is obvious that the next MBPs will have at least Blu-Ray reading, if not writing (probably an optional upgrade) optical drives. This is a big factor for the lifespan of a computer. Optical drives on a laptop are not interchangeable without voiding your warranty and knowing what you are doing.

I would also hope that the new MBPs will move up to the ExpressCard/54 expansion card slots instead of the ExpressCard/34 which is in all current MBPs. When the MBP first debuted there was no real reason to put the bigger card slot in. However now the most common expansion card use (for PC laptop users at least) is for EDGE/3G cellular wireless cards. All the major wireless phone carriers (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) have cards for ExpressCard/54 and the older PCMCIA slots but do not (and will not) make cards for ExpressCard/34. This will probably replace WiFi as the way many of us will connect to the internet in the next 5 years, considering the expansion of 3G technology. I would hope and assume Apple is thinking the same thing.

While these are two specific technologies that could more quickly depreciate the usability of a MBP than usual, I think there is an unquantifiable reason as well. When you look back on the history of Apple laptops, you can see a handful of keystone versions that had a significantly longer usable lifespan. These always seem to be the second or third version after a major upgrade.

Ones that come to mind are: The first Aluminum PowerBook G4 was a substantial step up from the Titanium, the PowerBook G3 Pismo is better than the Wallstreets, Snow G3 iBook was a substantial improvement from the Clamshells, etc. The same is true for the desktop systems. B&W G3s over the beige, Sawtooth and later models are still useful for mods while the Yikes! is a paperweight.

I say all this to say, I am waiting for the big upgrade. I bought a first gen MacBook (Core Duo) to tie me over until the MacBook Pro comes out with the big upgrade. When you consider how long its been since Apple upgraded the Aluminum Laptop (September 2003) you have to assume a big change is on the horizon.

Karma50

8. knok

knok Guest

Thanks cuteperv i agree with u.. i mean i know that will be always a new technology but for the same prize i prefere buy a new model.. don't u think?? because i dont wanna buy something that is already old now.. so i hope it will coming out as sonn as possible.. Thanks guys ..

9. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Ya $1999 plus taxes (ouch!), why not buying a new one. Cheer !