1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New machine, new install, experienced user needs help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by danndee, Nov 8, 2004.

1. danndee

danndee Member

Just put a new machine together...well at least a particular large Computer store here in the USA did...(my wife is due tomorrow so time is in short supply)...

In all, Shrink is taking foreveer to rip. getting no more than 2100K/sec ...taking about an hour and a half...
    While allowing Video preview the video is VERY VERY choppy...more than normal...seems to even pause sometimes....One glaring thing that might mean something to someone is that when I hit "Cancel" during a rip and the "you sure?" screen appears and the system makes its default alert "Ding"...it's SUPER choppy...seems to stutter...
    Hit play after the movie is ripped and the playback (audio and video) is choppy...
    Play the actual dvd in a couple of other pieces of software and its no problem....

The computer...
    P IV 2.4
    2X512 RAM
    Win 2k (updated)
    ATI AIW 9600 128mb 4x/8x agp
    1 Sony 510 (DVD RW)
    1 Generic (DVD RW)

After doing some searches I've checked the following:
    DAO - enabled on both ide
    ASPI Drivers - Saw that my machine didn't have 'em loaded so I did...nothing
    The "run in background to allow multitasking" option in shrink - not checked
    the "I/O" setting - doesn't make a difference...
    I read somewhere about changing my AGP setting form 8x to 4x...doesn't make sense to me but could that be it?
    Also read to make sure its a "clean" install...it is...Win 2k was loaded from a format...

Please help...its driving me nuts and really seems to be Shrink specific....

Thanks,
    Dan

2. danndee

danndee Member

st double checked the ATI drivers and updated 'em...no change...The problem is definitly Shrink specific though...very strange...going to DL another and try again.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You mentioned DMA was enabled for the IDE but what about the burner in particular? Be sure to note the Current Transfer Mode, not "DMA if Available" :)

4. danndee

danndee Member

YATZEE!!!

Thanks for the reply..figured it out last night at about 3am...

BTW everything did indicate X-fering in Ultra-DMA but I woke up in the middle of the night remembering a thread I read that discussed not only SETTING DMA but uninstalling the IDE Controller after setting DMA and "windows will install it back in DMA mode"...Tried it out...sure enough it worked like a champ.

For anyone else w/ the same problem here's a brief summary:
    Symptoms:
    LONG rip time
    Shrink playback (in the lower left preview window) is VERY choppy...
    Maxed out CPU while ripping
    While ripping..hit "Cancel"...the "Ding" is super choppy..almost an echo...

What I did: (I hesitate to call it a "fix" but rather "what I did that fixed it - a Mod can dub it a "fix" if they so choose)
    Select "DMA if available" on both IDE controllers (Device manager - IDE Controllers - Primary, Secondary) (restart after second)
    Uninstall Primary Controller
    Restart
    (Windows will "load new hardware")
    Check to make sure its operating in DMA
    Uninstall Secondary Controller
    Restart
    Verify settings
    Insert movie
    Re-Author
    Open Movie and hit play - If Chop is gone so too should be your long rip times.

Best of luck!
    I need a nap...

Dan

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  5. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Since Windows XP is so helpful in changing your settings whenever it thinks you need it (note sarcasm), What I do whenever DVD burning starts acting strange, and/or slowing down, is to first just uninstall/reinstall the IDE controllers. Usually always solves the problem - even though the problem may not be obvious looking at the IDE controller settings. Kinda gives you a fresh start...