1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW: Maxtor 300GB OneTouch II

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by red0ne, Apr 9, 2005.

1. red0ne

red0ne Member

Greets to all,

Looks like Maxtor has just released its latest external monster, Maxtor 300GB OneTouch II. Heres' considering to make the purchase of one. But before I do, I'd like to have some user feedback on the product if you have crossed paths with it before. Here's it's seller page: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10382114&loc=101&hdwt=22081&sp=1

BTW, this post I'm using to cross-reference info gathered with another forum. See the original thread of the AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=12704&highlight=

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I think the 300GB has actually been out for a while. While I personally prefer Seagate or Western Digital hard drives, this one touch external Maxtor drive seems to be okay. About 4 months ago I set up the 250 GB version for my neighbor, who relies on her computer for work everyday. The drive itself seems to work fine, although that Restrospect backup software is a piece of crap. I use Acronis True Image.

edit 4 typo

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

And I use Ghost 9.0 which is really Drive Image 7.01 software. I would look at just getting a 300 gig HDD and put it in an external case for $30 and purchase either one of the programs mentioned above for full backups daily or weekly. I have an internal HD that I use for this daily and also an external that I backup weekly. This is done while windows is running in the background and set to automatic at 2:00AM everyday and 3:00am on Saturday for the external that I plug in before bed.

Link for an external case. I have this one in silver and works great! http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-145-342&DEPA=0

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  4. red0ne

red0ne Member

Why an internal hard disk + external enclosure combo? I'm guessing for economical reasons.

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah as long as you get a decent hard drive (like I said, I personally wouldn't choose maxtor) and a well-built enclosure, its pretty much the exact same thing as purchasing a pre-built one like the one touch maxtor. it will definately be cheaper as well, because you won't have to pay for the crappy software they include with it.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  7. red0ne

red0ne Member