1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Memorex 8X DVD-R Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ecutekkie, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

I just bought a 50 spindle of Memorex DVD-R 8X Media. The MID is CMC Mag. AE1. I have burned 38 DVDs so far, with no errors using a Sony DVD RW DRU-710A. I have had Nero verify all of the burns and have copied most of them back to the hard drive without any error. Should I expect these DVDs to hold up in good shape? Are these DVDs any good even though they are CMC Mag. AE1 media ID? Let me know. I have very important stuff on these discs! Thanks!

ECUT

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

3. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

No no no...CMC Mag. AE1 is a new MID. I'm looking for information on it. That pagae makes CMC Mag. look like crap; makes it look like CMC Mag. is incapable of having a good burn. Anybody else please.

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I suppose that you can wait until somebody says what you want to hear, ecutekkie ... But if all you want is for me to say YES CMC media is top notch stuff, ok, consider it said ... But personally I wouldn't trust that garbage to store anything valuable at all ... Come on ... all rroettger was doing was saving you some future grief by responding very accurately to your post ... Now you might have gotten lucky by purchasing a good batch of media that has a horrid reputation ... but then again, some people depend on a roulette wheel to provide them with retirement security ...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]                            

[/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  6. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

I don't understand where all these stats from CMC come from. I use to work at a local computer repair shop. My boss and I have burned, literally, thousands of CDs, mostly Memorex and Imation. I don't understand. Please explain to me. I've now burned 38 out of the 50 DVDs that I got in the spindle, and I haven't gotten one failed burn. Does this mean that the burn is good. Nero 6 verified the burn AND I have copied each disc back to the hard drive without any errors.

7. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Memorex uses different suppliers. Some good, some bad. The next 50 you buy may be all bad. Net result, they weren't half bad. lol
    You came here to ask people who have been doing this for awhile. Do a search here on Memorex and see the results. People use words like landfill, garbage, etc.
    Also it depends on your burner.
    Different burners like different discs. Here read this link:
    http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=41636&highlight=memorex

Why take the risk. I just picked up a 100 Ritek Ridata 4x for $26.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

8. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

Ok, so I guess I have a question. Does the disc being 'landfill' disc, mean that that it fails when burning, or fails after the burn? All of my burns have been successful and have been correctly verified. This is why I am asking.

9. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

10. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

Ok. How?

11. jester48

jester48 Member

As far as I know, a disc cannot go bad if you come up with no read errors after scanning w/dvdinfopro.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The big question is [bold]do your memorex (cmc mag) backups play in your stand-alone dvd player w/o any freezing or pixelating?[/bold] That has been one of the problems with poor quality media like cmc mag.
    rroettger,
    I hope you have better luck than me, I got my Ridata dvd+r's today and they're Ritek R03 instead of Ricohjpn. Hopefully they'll be ok.

13. ecutekkie

ecutekkie Member

i am doing data backups, so i'm not worried about movies. And also, CMC Mag. AE1 is a new MID. Is that better than the original Memorex 2x and 4x DVD-Rs?

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If your only making data backups then any media should work fine. I would buy the cheapest I could find for data. It's only with vidio reproduction that you need to use good quality media. Burn on.