1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New NEC burner won't read or write many DVD copies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Scarlet, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

I just got my new replacement CPU from Dell Computer. For months I've had a bad case of the "blue screens of death".

Last night I tried to make a copy (from a a copy) on the new CPU. The new CPU has a NEC DVD reader writer. The new NEC won't read the copies. It just sits there and makes an intermittent clicking sound. Then the DVD burner won't open until I reboot the machine.

So, since I still have the "old" Dell CPU I put exactly the same DVDs in it and it makes copies -- no problem. It has a TEAC burner.

The NEC will read original DVDs. And it will make copies of them, but not on the generic DVDs that I've been using. It will burn copies to some Sony blanks that I have.

So, essentially, I can no longer make copies of my copy.

Anyone have any thoughts about what Dell might think if I move the DVD burner from my old CPU to the new one?

Using my other

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Is the new burner dual format(+ & -)? Are the generic blanks and Sony blanks different formats(+ or -) If the new burner is only one format and you insert the wrong type of disc it won't do anything. Just guessing with the information given.

Jerry

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Sorry, the system wouldn't take the reply.
    Jerry

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Scarlet, welcome to aD,

Having a NEC I can sympathize. Though NEC "Claims" to be a dual-format burner, in reality it only burns +R media aand only good stuff at that. So, let's find out what media you were using before when you were doing backups. That's a question, What media were you using ? (Oopps, I for got, we're writing and you can't answer in real time - sorry :)

We at least need some up-to-date firmware so, off we go - 1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance - When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Since you just got a new replacement cpu, let's check your ASPI layer to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer -

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go -
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Let me know hoe we made out there, OK ?

I'l wait righ here -

Pete

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004