1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC problem, no output to monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JJacobs10, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JJacobs10

JJacobs10 Member

Hi, I'm having some problems with a PC I just built and was wondering if anyone could help. Everything seemed to be working fine, I had installed Windows 7 and was downloading Team Fortress 2 from Steam when I left the computer to go and cook myself a meal. I can't have been gone more than an hour or so but when I came back the computer had frozen and stopped displaying output to the monitor so I shut it down using the power button.

Now when I try to power up the PC the blue power light on the case comes on as do the chassis fans in my case, however no output is displayed to my monitor via either my graphics card or the Intel integrated graphics on the motherboard. Also USB devices such as my mouse and keyboard don't seem to be receiving any power from the built in USB ports on the motherboard or the USB ports built into my case (the light in my optical mouse doesn't light up when I try turning on the computer).

The hardware in my computer is as follows:
    Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-2500k Processor (2nd Generation
    Corsair Cooling Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler
    4GB Mushkin Blackline(2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 RAM
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1024MB PCIE Graphics Card
    800W Mushkin Enhanced Joule ATX 2.3 Power Supply
    LG 22x DVD-RW Drive

If anyone can offer any help or advice I'd be very grateful, also please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another psu as your clues shows you lost the 5volts side of the psu. happened to me just as i was installing win7, poof no 5volts.

3. JJacobs10

JJacobs10 Member

Thanks, I'll try and do that soon, any idea if it could have been a different problem in case this doesn't work?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try psu 1st as almost certain that is the problem.

5. JJacobs10

JJacobs10 Member

OK, thanks. I'll let you know what happens.