1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Camonte, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Camonte

Camonte Member

Hi, I plan on building a PC pretty soon. There were a few parts that I'm not sure what brands to get and such, and figured you guys could help. Also, any suggestions on current parts I have picked up is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

The following are the only parts I need currently (unless something below or something you guys suggest needs a new part(s)):

Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
    RAM - PC2-3200 DDR2-400 4GB - I Need an AMD FX-55 capable motherboard that can run that RAM.
    Video Card - ATI Radeon x800XT PE
    Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar SE 250gb
    CPU - AMD Athlon 64 FX-55/Motherboard - What's the best motherboard for this CPU?
    Speakers - Logitech THX Certified Z-680 5.1 Speaker 500Watt
    Fans - I want fans I can control the speed of since it's not always hot here. I would like them as silent as possible, but still very powerful. I also am not sure on how many I need or what other things multiple fans will require.
    Router - I need a new router, I hate my Linksys one. It screws with my port forwarding settings automatically and it just pisses me off. I want a router that's easy to manage, has 8 slots on the back, and that I can easily manage ports and such on. Maybe a router that I can turn off the internal firewall and let all ports in and just let ZA Pro handle it.
    DVD/R+ Drive(s) - Not sure what the best drives are out there. I want 2 drives; not sure if I should just get 2 DVD drives or a CD drive and a DVD/R drive what. I want whatever is fastest. I would like the best DVD burner out there that could burn just about any type of DVD, but I want it to be fast like I said. As for the other drive, not sure what's best.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. wild77

wild77 Guest

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Get a 10,000 rpm hard drive. My mate has just fitted one. With his 6800ultra graphics card, Doom3 kicks serious ass. Loading times are so much quicker. Asus motherboard, 64bit 3200 athlon, I have 2 pioneer 108 burners. I would recommend them to anyone. Kingston, Corsair, Crucial or Samsung 400DDR RAM.
    With that lot you could run the space programme.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Or a 64bit 3400 Athlon.
    Nice.