1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Power Supply And Computer Won't Turn On Please Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Spenman91, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

is the voltage switch on back of psu correct for your location presuming the us which is 115 volts? try the computer without new videocard but with new psu & try the reverse to see if still does it or not.

3. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

yes the voltage is correct. Also I did try to take the video card out and use the new PSU. However that still didn't work. I've also tried connecting component by component seperately to see if the PSU would even start up. It wouldn't it seems dead but I'm deffinatly not an expert. I have never put in a PSU before so it is likely that I have something hooked up wrong. But I disconnected each power cord from each component and then connect the new PSU to that component until I had replaced all the old connections with the ones from the new PSU then I put in all the screws and set my computer back up. It wouldn't even try to turn on. The graphics card works fine with my old PSU I just think it proabablly needs more power.

Thanks for the reply.

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

did you plug in the square 4 pin connector onto motherboard?

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yes. And also there was something different about the new PSU from my old one. On the main (largest) connector that went into the motherboard, the new one had two seperate connectors, one larger and the other smaller. On my old PSU there was only one big one.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

hi spenman91,
    Replying on assumptions here so I'll see if I can help. First your card requires a psu with 22a rating the psu you have is only rated at 18a. This could cause you a problem. Sounds like your old psu may be a higher amp rating. And yes it could be a lower wattage (hope i spelled it right) psu.
    Your new psu has a 20 + 4 pin this can be seperated. It is a design for newer boards with a 24pin power plug. Your board may only require the 20 pin power plug. If you seperate these two only use the 20 pin portion. There is a seperate 4 pin connector that ALSO plugs in to your board it's for your cpu. Be sure your not using that "extra" 4pin connector for your cpu. One last thing if your setup is a prebuilt from HP it may have a proprietary psu. Hopes this helps.

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I have tried using just one of the connectors to the motherboard. My motherboard does have a different connector (20 pin). And I belive the PSU is 24 pin. My old PSU is 300 Watts. The new one is 430. Do you think I should just return it and try again?

Also I have been running my card with my old power supply for the past few hours and it seems to get really hot. I'm not sure exactly what good temps for that card would be but it seems pretty hot to me. In some older games it runs at about 70C. But in some of the newest games it gets up to 90C at some points and usually stays around 85C. Is there anything I can do to make anything run cooler?

Thanks

8. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

ok try seperating the large connector. use the 20 pin on the board plug. make sure your other 4 pin is plugged in for your cpu. if th psu doesnt power up the system it could be defective. try reading this article it helped me somewhat. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htmDon't know your expertise with this stuff so I suggest basic stuff. I just built a new system and my last build was 3 years ago. The requirements definitely changed in 3 years.

9. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

wow that is too hot. the cooling in your case doesnt sound good. how many fans in the case?

10. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

4 Including the one on the graphics card. But like I said it's not a custom built PC, it's and HP. My CPU and everything else runs really cool but my graphcis card is really hot.

11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I will try to mess with my PSU tomorrow, it's getting too late here to unhook my computer and mess with all of that right now. I just wanted to get some opinions before I sent it back. If you have any recomendations for a 7950GT that are fairly cheap I'm open to suggestions. Also if there is some way I can cool my graphcis card off it is much appriciated also. But I guess I will wait to see if I can get my PSU going tomorrow before I send it back.

Thanks

12. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Make sure your air flow is good. 2 in flow and two outflow fans would be good. things that obstruct flow like cables try to reroute to one side. If the card site close to the cpu you could be getting radiated heat. The card you have may run that hot normally even though I have read that the gddr3 cards are supposed to run cooler. It is a newer card and my experience with the new ones is just starting. If all else fails try doing this as a temporary solution only. Leave the side off the case and see if the card runs cooler. If it does you have an air flow problem.

OK just saw your last mssg good look!

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I assume that you had a videocard/onboard video before this installation? If so, if you have not already, remove the drivers for the last piece of videohardware. (hint-if it is integrated graphics you just disable it not uninstall it)

14. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

When I first installed the card I had both sides of the case off from working with the PSU so I just left them off to make sure everything was running smoothly. Then later after I got everything finished I put the casing back on and temperatures raised about 5 to 10 degrease C, depending on the game. Right now my card is idleing at about 59 C and can get to 90 C after about 10 minutes of playing a very demanding game such as GRAW. My graphics card isn't exactly close to my CPU, and my CPU usually only runs at about 34 C anyway. When I run it with the side of the case off I can get temps around 75 C or 80 C. With the Case on like I said they reach 90 C. So it appears that my card goes from being decently hot, to way too hot. My PC has intergrated graphics and I also used to have a 7300 LE card. I disabled the onboard graphics but I haven't done anything about the old graphics card yet. I will try to remove the old drivers for it. Although I have already updated the drivers for my new card from the Nvidia website and it was for the 7 series, and not just for my specific card.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

your graphics card will only start to melt at around 120c but the driver will stop it going above 115c.

it does sound like it is about 5c higher than most at idle but i would put this down to the lack of airflow thru your case.

a good case will give slightly lowwer temps with the sides on than with out them. this is because a good case acts like a wind tunnel and all the air going thru the case cools more than no airflow when the sides are off. if you want to keep it cooler you can fit bigger or more efficent fans to the rear of your case to pull more air out or get another case that has been designed with max air flow in mind.

16. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

If I decide to get a new case will all my current stuff go into the case accordingly. I probablly won't do it right away but probablly sometime in the next month, if that seems like what I need to do for everything to run cooly and efficiently than I will probablly do that. Everything runs really well right now but it's just hot. However as games get more graphicsly demanding I was concidering getting a new motherboard with SLI support for dual 7950GT's anyway. Should I just wait and do all of this at once or can I go ahead and get a case decently soon and then piece it together?

Thanks

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

edit

although it is a good psu it isnt big enough(it needs 22amp) to power that card, it might work but it could cause you issues(bsod, ctd or restarts) down the road if other things are sucking power from it when your gcard needs it too.

18. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I assume you edited that while I was typing the post above, lol.

With that being said, should I also include another (nicer) PSU in my list of other PC parts to buy, and just get a new case, motherboard, and PSU?

19. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

spenman91 I just looked up your system. it's not that old looks like sept. of last year or so. You might try a new case and psu with the board, cpu, and vid card. I would wait another 3 monthes as intel prices are dropping right now. I would suggest a core 2 processor as they the faster cpu right now. I'll make a couple of suggestions on case and psu.
    this case seems to be the way to go right now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 a bit pricey but massive air flow!
    I have this psu myself and it works good
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001 other pcu are bit higher due to modular cables and higher watt ratings.
    with these things you can upgrade easily later.

20. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yes, I just got my computer this last December. So it's not old. I'm glad you recomended that cas, becuase that was the one I was looking at. I just liked the way it looked. But I don't know alot about cases so I'm glad it's a good case. As far as the PSU I will send the one I've got now back and then get the one you recomended. My only problem is I don't have enough money for any of this stuff now, concidering I just spent quite a bit on my GPU and PSU. How long do you think my current setup will last until I can save up enough to get a new case and PSU? It will probablly take me a month or so to save up enough. Do you think I can last that long with maybe some tweaks to get decent airflow so my card doesn't fry in the meantime. And I have no clue how long my old PSU will last?

Thanks