1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Processor and Mobo

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Raiten, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I did a search on this subject but couldn't find anything regarding it. I just bought a new processor, it came with a fan and heatsink. I know that i'm supposed to apply some Thermal Paste on the chip before placing the heatsink on it, but i don't have any and i'm not sure if anywhere in my town sells it. But the heatsink that i got with the processor has a gray patch that looks to be the thermal coating that i need, so would i still need to apply thermal paste onto the chip or will that gray patch be enough?

Oh my processor is a Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, with Hyper Threading. And my mobo is DFI "LANPARTY PRO875B" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 if that helps.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no, you don't need to put on some thermal grease as that black square is almost same thing just different material

3. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Cool, thanks. That saves me more money and allows me to put it all together after i get off work. :D

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good luck, teach & learn