1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new products available

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by treeman, Jan 14, 2004.

1. treeman

treeman Member

Totally new to the rip/burn process but have been doing a lot of reading on here.... But learning more and more from you guys,,,, first question is :

1) I do want to be able to burn movies onto one disc.... How far in the future do you predict being able to copy (entire disc) dual layer movies becoming mainstream ???? I just don't want to get set up having to disect the disc only to find out that modern technology (or the laws that surround it) will allow people to do this in the very near future..... Just seems like this sector will start jumping by leaps and bounds

2) if buying a 1 to 1 duplicator,,,, will that bypass the process of ripping to the pc and if not,,,, can you use ripping software with these standalone products ???
    Hope these questions make sense.. Tried searches to find the answers but really could not find anything definative to what I think I'm looking for :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hey there. Glad you're finding answers. In answer to your questions here goes,

1: Dual layer burners and media are being demonstrated though none are for sale yet. Pioneer had shown that their existing A06 burner can handle dual-layer burning with new firmware so there is a possibility you can buy an A06 now and have dual-layer capability in the future with the same drive. Keep in mind dual-layer media will likely be expensive and take a loooong time to burn a full disc.

2: Standalones cannot dupe encrypted DVDs. The MPAA wouldn't stand for it to be that easy. I'm also not aware of any method to use ripping software with a standalone.