1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new protection sceme?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Morkai, May 19, 2003.

1. Morkai

Morkai Member

Im trying to backup my copy of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, back up SEEMS to be fine but im having a weird issue. First let me say i have a magic 3.1 mod chip. Ok so my prob is the game starts, but every time i pass a level the game seems to be lookin for the disk code, then i get the "insert a PS2 disk" screen. I had thought the mod chip bypassed the protection completely but it seems it only does so at bootup.

Anyhow has anyone else attempted backing up this game, or run into the same prob with another game ?

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I had no prob copying this game.
    Plays fine... copied it on the fly with Nero onto a DVD+r (platinum).

3. c7015

c7015 Regular member

This is a issue with people with the magic 3.1 chip. it is not nessisarily a new protection scheme(since it has been used on deuce x and may payne) but it has come more into play becasue more chips go to sleep. the result on a doubble check is what you are seeing(splintercell check after every save)

there is no cure/fix for this however there is a trick that you can do to make it less annoying when it comes time to save do all of the usuall things and when it gives you the option to continue open the ps2 tray click continue when the tray is open then when the screen goes black reinsert the tray(works most of the time not all)

4. Morkai

Morkai Member

Well the first thing i did when i opened the game was make a backup, so i had not played the game with the original disk yet. Last night i did so and found that i have the SAME problem as with the copy. Funny thing is the open door trick while saving works with the original but not the copy. Anyhow the fact that it does this on the original too leads me to believe that its not just lookin for the code like it normaly does. Another facor that leads me to this is that there is someone on the forum here who put a shut off switch on their chip and the game orks fine with the mod chip shut completely off.

I cant remember the persons name, ill look in a while, if you do read this though would you mind posting an idiots guide to adding that switch. I am aware yu have pctures on your sight but id at least feel safer with info on each step, thanks.

5. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I think I know the thread that you are refering to as I beleive that I was activly posting in that one as well
    however I think that his sucess was just luck or miscommunication because a switch on a 3.1 is pointless

I suspect that he had a 3.0 chip and that is why his works

6. Morkai

Morkai Member

Well today when i started up the original copy of Splinter Cell it worked with no hitches!! This is weird, im wondering if the mod chip does not change the voltage just slightly that gets to the reader, causes slight variance?