1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PS2 Problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by sammy421, Jul 5, 2007.

1. sammy421

sammy421 Member

I have a Slim PS2 model SCPH-77001 and a green dot matrix infinity modchip. I tried opening the PS2 and successfully got to the point where there are only metal plates protecting the motherboard, but there are four screws that are impossible to get out. I asked my friend who has a degree in electrical engineering and he said that they look like they were welded on. I have searched to find a solution but had no luck. Did anybody successfully got to the motherboard of a SCPH-77001? If its not just a matter of unscrewing then what other tools do I need to use?

Here are the four screws I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks on the other side.
    [​IMG]

2. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

I've not heard of any welded screws. Maybe have an extra bowl of wheaties in the morning and try unscrewing them again?

3. sammy421

sammy421 Member

it is not my strength thats the problem. after the first time it wont buldge, i thought i needed a smaller screwdriver so i went to radio shack and bought a whole set. unfortunately that did not work either and the screw heads are starting to wear off. even the electrician said that it was impossible to unscrew.

4. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

I'm not really sure why an electrician's advice would really be relevant. If they are welded on, then you'll have to drill out the screws. Cutting the metal shield however might be a better option.

5. sammy421

sammy421 Member

what tools and method do you recommend for the cutting?

6. sammy421

sammy421 Member

nevermind. i got it off. i used pliers and ripped the metal plate off piece by piece. it turned out i had a GH-051-12

7. raiyne

raiyne Member

I have the same slim ps2 model as you. The screws were not a problem for me, and they weren't welded on. The gold flat pieces you saw on the other side were the backs of the shafts that hold the screws. A precision screwdriver should have done the trick. More than likely yours were just screwed in too tightly.