1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW PS2 VERSION OUT TODAY CAN IT BE MODDED

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bddarkman, Jun 10, 2003.

1. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

I see the new ps2 is out with network adapter and a better dvd player (supports dvd-r and rw).
    Has any one tryed to mod it yet.
    Also can you just swap dvd player with a v7 that already has a mod?

2. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Actually, this is just a normal V7 system packaged w/ a Network Adaptor. There are no extra features on it. So yes it can be modded. It like the special edition V4 that came w/ GT3. Its # was 35001 and this one is 39001/N. Sux huh.

3. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

Sorry I think you are wrong look at bestbuy and says now reads recordable media and has progressive scan for better picture.

post from extreammods.!!!!!!!!
    The new version PS2 will have a huge update to the drive. The new drives included with this version will be DVD-R/+R/-+RW compatable! WOW! Rumor has it that it is the same drive as thier famous DRU-500's (DVD burner).

Also with this new version comes the network adaptor for online play! All for $199.99 (us).

....they say all there premods will use this new ver. so i guess it can be modded.(board must be the same ?)

4. scurvy

scurvy Member

wtf my version 1 ps2 supports dvd-r........

5. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

SCURVY not just dvd-r but now does dvd -\+ rw and official support means it will read them better like a computer dvd rom does.no more slow loading or cant read cheap dvds.soon as i here some feedback about the new set up im getting rid of my v7 and buying a new one.

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I am not wrong. I have bought and modded 3 of them(all from best buy). I think they may have the new drive but there is no built in IR receiver like they said. And what do you mean NOW read recordable media? Isnt that what we use to burn games? I copied DVD-r movie works in an unmodded ps2 so it already had that ability. I guess this drive is just stronger. Oh well.

7. c7015

c7015 Regular member

l dubb do the 3 that you modded have the I link cable

8. djillini

djillini Regular member

Not to cause conflict but...According to www.xteammods.com...this is indeed a new ps2 model...upgraded because the older ps2 models were cheaply built...He has confirmed this through a SONY REP. He along with others are calling this version PS2.5

9. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I already packaged them up for shipping so I can't check for sure but I think they did. I will get some more today and check for sure. This is a new model but its not the one promised. I used to be a manager at a Gamestop about a year ago before I became an installer, and I worked w/ the Sony Reps all the time. They don't know shit. They only know what the corporate office wants to tell them. Those of you who have jobs that deal w/ corporate offices know how they are much like the government when it comes to information. If this is the US 50000 series then we've been robbed. Simple as that.

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with L-Dubb.

From my understanding if it doesn't have the i-link cable it should have a built in IR for the Sony DVD remote that is packaged in; Which makes it a new version (not to mention the graphics chip and emotion engine are built together, I might have these mixed up but they did combine 2 chips on the board into one).

If it is just has the network adaptor, and the i-link still on it then it is not new and as L-Dubb has confirmed it can be modded.

The "NEW" version that has the remote packaged in should drop in about a month or so.

11. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

bestbuy has 2 packages they are selling 1 is old ps2 with network and the other is the new version with network and new dvd player,I think they might be trying to get rid of old stock and not selling new one untill old stuff is gone.
    on there site if you look under new releases they show the new version but says NOT available for store pickup.I could be wrong but looks like the stores wont have any new ones untill they sell out of old.

12. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

This is on ebgames.com site

Newsletter Correction
    The PlayStation 2 Online Pack as described in the June 3, 2003, newsletter is not yet available. The PlayStation 2 Online Pack now available for order includes the current version of the PS2 bundled with the PS2 Network Adaptor for only $199.99, representing a savings of $20 when compared to purchasing these items separately.

might not be out yet ?

13. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

From what I have seen of the insides of the new PS2 not much has changed. They may be delayed as yoiu said. Who the hell really knows.

Dubbs, manager of a Game Stop!? I feel for you man! ;) My roomie is one. LOL

I'm starting to go with the theroy that the new systems are not out yet.

But the adaptor is a nice touch.

14. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

You'll know if you have a newer SUPER system if the firewire port is removed. They claimed they removed it on this new one. So I hear.

The drives seem better but not by much, which leds me to beleive they are not here yet.

The board I have does NOT have the two chips combined.

BTW: I know what yor refering to and the REPs that were mentioned were US corporate distribution Reps, not the outside hire Game Stop types.

Those guys are a bunch of jerk offs.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  15. drewid

drewid Member

hey.. here's some pics of the new v9.. so if it dont look like this inside i'd prolly say its not one ;)

http://www.neoasic.com/50000.htm

the reset/eject are on the main body now and not on that nice ribbon cable on the lid as before ;)

16. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

It's safe to say they are just clearing old stock first. My Bundles are just Frankinstien units with various new and old parts.

I bet they will show up by the end of the summer.

17. gamercrew

gamercrew Member

OK.... i returned my PS2 and got my money back. I am waiting for the New PS2 Version to come out I'm sure its better!

18. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

Why would they get rid of the i-link firewire port?????

19. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

???
    just heard this through a friend, says he read it in a mag.

20. drewid

drewid Member

why wouldnt they get rid of it? now with the ethernet connection standard and all.. in reality how many people use the i-link?