1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PSTwo and HD Loader

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by arcticice, Nov 16, 2004.

1. arcticice

arcticice Guest

Can any one confirm whether or not there is any, any way of using hd loader on the new pstwo. I mean, it doesn't have a hard drive slot. Can you use a usb hard drive. if so, what one? any ideas welcome. thanks

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

they are working on a program to let you use an external hd.

3. arcticice

arcticice Guest

how ;ong until this is ready then

4. arcticice

arcticice Guest

how long until this is ready then

5. JoshBosh

JoshBosh Member

Would there be much point? Unless the USB ports onboard are USB2 it wouldent bear thinking about. What speeds do the hard drives operate at? ATA33? The MAX usb can operate at is 12Mb/s, and thats only in bursts, although if its USB2, fair enough, just adds an extra £30 (proberly $40us) for an USB2 enclosure.
    Here is me, in hope its USB2 :)

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

nope, its only usb 1.1. It only has to run as fast as the game would, not full hd speed.

7. arcticice

arcticice Guest

so whats better, getting a chipped PSTwo or a older ps2 with hd loader?

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

an older ps2 with a chip. Hd loader isn't that good, and the new pstwo has problems with modchips.

9. xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx Guest

iam not sure if the new pstwo is USB 2, but do you really think that the developers of HDloader would make there new version USB compatible, it don't make sense to produce a program that works with slow hardware like USB 1.

But I suppose it's always possible to use some kind of NAS Network attached storage. Which is just a hdd connected to a computer system via network cable.

Then we have to find a way of connecting this to the PSTwo.

It might be possible to have a small server on your PC and connect the PSTwo to your pc by network cable and run the games that way with the HD loader running from the pstwo , getting the games from the Sony HDD Or what ever hdd u want. Inside the pc

sorry if the above sounds confusing

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2004
  10. jestaro

jestaro Member

on a post in this thread someone said that the new slim ps2 had problems with a mod chip, I would just like to say that I got a modded slim ps2 with a DMS 4 chip inside and it works fine.

11. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

some people are having problems with the new pstwo burning out the laser when they install a chip.

12. arcticice

arcticice Guest

i was just about to order a pre modded pstwo with dms4 pro? should i proceed or not?

13. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you may want to wait just a little bit until they get the problem fixed.

14. bsimplic

bsimplic Member

Hi, I'm just wondering if you use the swap disc with the pstwo instead of a chip, can the laser still go bad as well? Thanks

15. chrisdaem

chrisdaem Member

The PStwo does have USB2 (look for the specs, it's listed)

16. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Its just like SLY said. The PSTWO will still run at a lower speed. But that doesnt really matter since a lot of people only install games for their convenience, not really for loading times. And an external hd will cost more too. I would suggest getting hdloader but not for the new slim PS2. It really depends what you want to do though. Id say get hdloader only for the old PS2. You can play games for convenience, it can play imports, and burned games. Just use pc programs to add games to the hard drive.